Warren Ellis’ Trees Acquired by NBCU

Trees the offbeat sci-fi environmental book from Warren Ellis and Jason Howard has been picked up by NBC Universal.

From Deadline.com:

NBCUniversal International Studios has optioned rights to Image Comics’ graphic novel series Trees. First published in 2014, the sci-fi works are by comic book writer and New York Times bestselling author Warren Ellis (Red) and illustrator, Jason Howard. Adapting for the screen will be London-based Hardy Son & Baker, the production company founded by Tom Hardy with whom NBCU International Studios has a first-look deal. NBCUIS has also picked up Adam Hamdy’s forthcoming crime thriller Pendulum, which HSB will also produce.

Trees is set 10 years after the arrival of vast alien presences who stand on the earth’s surface like… trees. They do not move or communicate and appear not to acknowledge human life and society. The series follows the silent pressure and strange changes they exert on global communities from China to the Arctic Circle. Like the comics, the drama will combine sci-fi, crime and relationships.

Copies of Trees #1, which had been much cheaper before the announcement yesterday, can still be picked up for less than $10 on eBay. Copies can be picked up on Amazon for less than $3 in NM condition (as stated) however. Mycomicshop.com has NM copies for $8.

We had this on our picks of the week list way back on 5/28/14

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Warren Ellis’ Trees Acquired by NBCU

1. I’ve still continued to pick this series up, even with the issues sparsely coming out anymore. I think I am drawn to the art more than the story; it really stands out among other books. Story-wise, I keep forgetting who’s who & what’s what by the time the next issue comes out.

2. Louie says:

^exactly^ I just dropped it. I am fascinated by it, but there are long delays between issues

3. Philippe Brault says:

Damn it, I sold my full run about a month ago. Like everyone says I just didnt remember who was who by the time the next issue came out.

4. degreesofseparation1968 says:

Managed to pick up 5 copies of #1 for about $3.50 each

Be on the lookout for I kill Giants #1 as well

6. J.Marti says:

Found a full run and multiple copies of #1 at a discount 2.00 each from half price books.

7. VEI Reborn says:

I have around 50 copies of #1 ……buried somewhere. By the time I find them the show will be canceled. Happens every time lmao.

8. Mike B. says:

They are cheap for a reason -> not enough people like it enough for them to be of any significant value.
    I just finished reading the first Trees trade book (collecting Trees issues 1-8), and I have to say that the stories and artwork were great and interesting. But the Trees themselves were background noise, making the premise of this being a “Sci-Fi” series largely debatable. Having “alien trees” was what peaked my interest in the first place. To read 8 issues and get very little “alien action” from it was a dissappointment. Take out the Trees entirely and you could easily tell the same stories (with the exception of the Blindhail Station thread) – but no one would care enough to read them every month.
    Will anyone watch a TV series about alien trees that do nothing? No one wants to watch an alien sci-fi show that has no aliens or sci-fi.
    I would rather see them make a show out of Ellis’ Injection. At least with Injection you get a good dose of supernatural alien sci-fi in every issue.

I actually liked trees. Had a very specific political agenda, but I did like it. I agree Injection is much better.

• Mike B. says:

I’m not saying it was bad. It just felt like false advertising. “We are not alone! Giant alien trees changing our whole planet! What happens next??” …tune in 2 years and 14 issues later to find out! Ugg.
        Still plan to read book 2 though. Might as well follow it that far.

Lol. I cannot remember where I left off. Maybe around issue 12. i get bored with a lot of series around the 1 year mark.