Comics Picks of the Week for Delivery 1/11/17

Each week, hundreds of new comics hit the shelves, each with potential. Some live up to that potential. We pick the ones we think have the best shot at heating up. Here are our picks of the week for delivery 1/11/17:

Returning Favorites

Birthright #21 – man I love this series. Family drama mixed with sword and sorcery. Joshua Williamson at his best.

Black Eyed Kids #10 – Have you not read this book yet? It is crazy good. I cannot wait for this to get optioned. I mean just as scary of an urban legend as Slender Man. Creepy Black Eyed Kids taking over the world.

Moonshine #4 – Loving this mobster werewolf mash up in the deep south. Great read!

Southern Bastards #16 – Still love this southern fried crime drama.

Spread #18 – One of my favorite books. Seriously. The Thing meets Lone Wolf and Cub. It has evolved into a whole lot more.

One for the Family
Deep #1 – A graphic novel that spawned a TV show, and now single issue comics. Great story full of adventures. Looking forward to this one.

One for the Book Shelf
Renato Jones Season One – Under $10 for this first volume of the awesome Kaare Andrews comic. Social conscience without being preachy, and ultra violent to boot.

The Cheap Variant
Red Sonja #1 J. Scott Campbell Cover – No, not the virgin variant, but you want to see potential return on a comic, pick up the regular Campbell cover. Beautiful (Fairchild in a Metal Bikini…. I kid, I kid)

The New Image #1
God Country #1 – Previews of the book were in Image Plus and the book looks awesome. It has sold out on many comic book retailer websites, and you know a sell out announcement will come from Image. Thor meets Southern Bastards, come on, that sounds sweet!

Magazine Pick of the Week
Heavy Metal #284 – Cover B has Jesus the Barbarian, fighting Hitler? Oh my! Sales already in the $30 range, Oh Yeah!

Pick of the Week
Dr. Crowe #1 – 215Ink’s latest book. We gave a heads up on this one on last nights Spec Video. The new book is sold out at Diamond, sold out on many on-line shops, and could be very tough to find. Throw in a small print run, and curious buyers could be spending more than cover price on this one. I read it, thanks to Corey Fryia, the writer of the series for sending me a review copy, and it was good.

17 Responses to Comics Picks of the Week for Delivery 1/11/17

That’s not Red Sonja, that’s Mary Jane.. dressed as Red Sonja.. 😉

2. David Bitterbaum says:

I run so hot and cold on the art of Kaare Andrews. Sometimes it is amazing and other times it looks like hot garbage.

Also, “God Country,” looks like a great read!

Oh and yes, anyone that’s dropped Spread should pick it back up. I finally caught up in some readings and Spread is evolving into more open wide territory, it’s freaking awesome.

• A. King says:

I’m guilty of that. I dropped Spread awhile ago, but I keep hearing more and more about how good it is, so I might have to pick it up again.

4. Brennan says:

I too am loving birthright and spread. I got me of my emails published in I think issue 5 of birthright. No big deal 😉

That’s awesome.

• Brennan says:

It was one of those things that I did and then promptly forgot about until I saw it published. I was so excited at first then I was like oh my god I’m such a geek.

• A. King says:

That’s great. The same thing happened to me, I sent an email, a couple issues past I thought they decided not to print it then next issue there is my email. I then proceeded to buy every copy of that issue I could find.

Yeah, I screamed and acted like a school girl when I saw my question to Kirkman about Alpha’s 1st appearance in TWD letter hacks.. 🙂

5. Aaron Horwitz says:

Every single copy of Dr. Crowe at my LCS (about 5 copies) had some kind of white smudge on the top left of the back cover that seemed to be a printing defect. Any one else come across this?