DrunkWooky’s Star Wars Report for 1/16/2017 and Wild Spec

Hey, CHU, it’s your favorite furry Kashyyk vine-slinger, DrunkWooky!

I normally try to space my Star Wars doses out to about monthly intervals for you, my dear readers, but many developments are rocking the Star Wars Galaxy right now.

1. First of all, the issues to watch right now are Star Wars (2015) Issues 4, 5, 6, and 9 with special emphasis on 6. A somewhat old rumor has it that some female actors have been casting over at Lucasfilm and that they are casting for the role of Sana Starros, A.K.A., Sana Solo, A.K.A., Han Solo’s first wife, A.K.A. Han Solo’s fake wife.

Sana Solo first appeared in issue Star Wars (2015) Issues 4 masked, re-appeared in issue 5 masked, and was finally revealed in issue 6 unmasked and named. Issue  9 is her first cover appearance (for what these things are worth).

The reason I bring all of this up is that my LCS recently placed all Star Wars current run back issues out for $1.00 each! What does this mean? From completely anecdotal evidence, these can be picked up in stacks for cheap right now and sat on in case Sana pops here scoundrely head out in the new 2017 Han Solo movie! Grab, store, keep, wait, sell!

And how’s this for burying the lead, Woody Harrelson just signed on to the unnamed Han Solo project!

2. Darth Maul Store Exclusives Revealed.

Jedi Biblothek had some great Darth Maul #1 Store Exclusive Reveals. I swore off Aspen Store Turner exclusives after their debacle upping the Harley Quinn print run and the torture I went through trying to offload those after they came in. However, this Darth Maul cover may be the only Turner cover that would pain me a) not to have; and b) to have to ever part with. It is beautiful in its hatred. 2017 will be the year of Maul. Hold me to that!

Exclusives below:

Michael Walsh Unknown Comics Exclusive

Ashley Witter Fried Pie Exclusive. (Witter did the awesome Doctor Aphra #1 Brain Trust Variant)

Aspen Store Turner and Steigerwald Color and Sketch variants

3. A Rogue One adaptation comic has been announced. All I can say is that I hope it’s better than the Force Awakens adaptation that read like the Oregon Trail on floppy disk. At least there is a nice Noto cover and JTC Jyn Erso Action Figure cover to ogle:

4. Finally, we have some Doctor Aphra Issue 3 and 4 news. Check out the previews for issue 3 and issue 4 along with variant covers.

For now, everybody, stay furry, stay inebriated, and may the force be with you!

GRRRRRRAAAAAAAANNNGNGGGHHH!!!!!

39 Responses to DrunkWooky’s Star Wars Report for 1/16/2017 and Wild Spec

1. Jesus says:

Thanks for the update. I am have couple of star wars #6 and 9 as well as #3. Still holding on to them just to see where they will go. I know that they have been putting Dr. Aphra in games so hopefully they will put her in a movie soon. When that happens, ebay here I come lol.

I am very prepared for Star Wars #4….

3. Alvin danna jr. says:

I want to see dr aphra in a movie !!!! P.s she better be played by a hot chick too .

For those wondering though, make no mistake, Issue 4 was more than just a cameo.. it’s 3 pages with dialogue and glimpses of her face behind the mask. In Star Wars Universe, we have characters behind masks all the time (some we never see their real face), so #4 hands down will be her 1st appearance and more than just cameo type appearance.

Star Wars – #4 Page 13

Star Wars – #4 Page 14

Star Wars – #4 Page 15

Star Wars #5, we only saw the quick glimpse of Sana:

Star Wars – #5 Page 18

And now in Issue 6, another quick glimpse..

Star Wars – #6 Page 10

And now a full view without her mask:

Star Wars – #6 Page 18

7. Barry W says:

Great article, but I am laying off store variants for any kind of spec value from now on, been burnt a couple of times already trying to offload. Gonna concentrate more on 1st appearances/key issues or genuine rare variants from now on.

Yeah. And for Image #1 books that heat up.. we should all learn that Cover A trumps all other covers (if any).

Never spec on specific Store variants.. those rarely ever heat up long term. They might at release time but usually always drop back in value, usually less than what the store was selling them for.

• Barry W, I am with you all the way on store variants. My one exception is for Star Wars variants. That exception doesn’t apply for spec reasons, but my own personal collection reasons.

In the past year I acquired Iron Man 55 (first Thanos), Fantastic Four 48, 49, and 50 (first Galactus, ASM 252, 300, 344, 361 and Secret Wars 8 (first black suit/venom/carnage), and a mint Star Wars 42 signed by Jeremy Bulloch (first Boba Fett signed by Boba Fett).

I have received so much more joy from issues where something occurred in the content that was truly a first, or something I personally enjoyed than flashy store variants. Nothing against Dell’Otto, ArtGerm, Granov, Kirkham, Ross or any of the other fine artists pumping out variants. They’re work is truly stellar. But, I find from a personal standpoint, I get more joy our of reading the origin of some of these great characters they are festooning covers with.

Having said that, I bought the Aspen Turner variants for DC Rebirth for spec. Some were winners (Batman), some were duds (Harley Quinn, which was more headache than it was worth). I was ordering each of those based on hype and spec value when all I really wanted was Wolverine 66, the first Old Man Logan Turner variant. I think that as a fanbase, us comic collectors should start exercising more of our own personal preferences and agency in stearing the market.

See a cool cover by Dell’Otto and say “wow! That looks really nice! I don’t particularly like Ghost Rider, though, so I’ll give it a miss.”

Then we can start stearing the market in a more healthy direction.

Anyway, those are my two cents for now.

• Barry W says:

Thanks for that Wooky. Yeah I completely see where you’re coming from on the Star Wars store variants; if they’re for your PC and you like them or are a completist then go for it. Or if they are a reasonable price. I am no longer going for any of the $50 sets or even higher, for speccing anyway. Maybe if something really catches my eye for the PC, but that will be rare.

I collect Star Wars variants as well for PC. 🙂

• A. King says:

I have been off of the store variants for a long time, unless it is for the PC but I don’t spec on them anymore. I did just decide to go ahead and put together a complete set of the 40th anniversary covers. It shouldn’t be too hard since I can just pre-order them from Midtown.

8. comicevents says:

Excellet update. Thanks for the post.

9. J.Dan Patane says:

My Marvel Star Wars collection is closing in on 300 books (including a few 9.8s) thx to write-ups like this. Thanks for the wealth of info here, especially on Sana. I’m REALLY looking forward to Darth Maul, and will chase a few more variants than usual.

10. Admiral Snackbar says:

midtown still has star wars # 4 cover A 1st Ptg for cover, as of this post.

11. Brennan says: