Poyo’s Picks for July 26th, 2017

Hey folks. Your old friend Poyo back from a long road trip taking a break before I pack the family back up and leave for another trip. Isn’t summer grand? Comics are great but getting out and seeing the country is great too. But I digress. You are here for the comics. So let’s get down to the good stuff where I tell you what I think is the cream of the crop this week. I could be wrong, I could be right, only Shawn B. will tell us a year from now.

This week is a slow spec week. I am focusing on the art work this week as many of these may not ever go above cover price, but will bring joy for years in the collection.

DC/Vertigo Pick
Batgirl #13 Joshua Middleton Cover (DC)- Not a lot out besides readers from DC, however I like Joshua Middleton’s work. He does a good job with making Batgirl look graceful swinging through the city.

Marvel Pick
Edge Of Venomverse #3 (Marvel)- Again, not a lot of spec out from Marvel this week. But Mattina captures the essence of Ghost Rider nicely on this cover. Mattina’s work should be held for expensive variants, but I will not pass this up for cover price. Yes, I am a little burned out on Venomized characters, but this is good art.

Small Press Pick
Namwolf #4 Alexis Ziritt Variant (Albatross Exploding) – Sure, this one may not ever rise in price, however, I have been a fan of Ziritt’s and he is a cool guy who puts out crazy work. I love Space Riders and cannot pass up his art. Runner up goes to Alien Bounty Hunter 1, which actually has some spec behind it. If Marky Mark can get this produced into a movie than this small press book could be gold.

Indy Pick
Heavenly Blues #1 (Scout) – I like a good book about heaven and hell and all the turmoil involved. Granted, I do not believe in any of it, but it can make for great story.

That is it. I am sure there will be some overlap between me, Mel, and Anthony as there is not a whole lot of new stuff to choose from. Let me know what you think, love it, hate it, or need more Gwenpool.

20 Responses to Poyo’s Picks for July 26th, 2017

And anyone who wants more Gwenpool needs to leave.. 😛

Oh and for the record, for those interested, I drove a total of 5450 miles in 16 days.

The state with the most ridiculous gas prices was of course California, one station I saw was at $4.79 a gallon (current gas prices here in Central Texas is around $1.98 a gallon).

It was also strange to land in Oregon where I can’t pump my own gas, cause they think I’ll blow up or some weird crap like that. Also I find this odd since I’ve been filling up cars since I was like 5 (yes, my parents made me pump the gas at an early age) and despite me pumping my own gas for 2500 miles on this trip and then suddenly I couldn’t, just seemed really odd for me.

So this total National Lampoon Vacation (yes, we played the Holiday Song everytime we departed a campground or RV park), we managed to see 5 major national parks which were, Teton National Park, Yellowstone, Death Valley, Grand Canyon and Painted Desert/Petrified Forest. We managed to drive through or near around 18-20 National Forests.

Next trip, I’m gonna make sure I sport a Wally World t-shirt to wear for every family photo we take in front of the national park signs and what not… my job now is to embarrass my kids, that’s what parents do right?

New Jersey is the same way. They pump gas for you.

Yeah, I read about that. It’s two states that think by having full service gas stations creates jobs but it actually does more harm to economy than helps.

• Josh Masters says:

In the place where I grew up in Maine, there were two stations across the street from each other. One Full service, the other pump your own. Both had garages and little convenience areas. Basically Identical. Every time I’d go by there the Full service was always packed. I figured it was a generational thing.

Yeah, I read a great article that Oregon is pretty much hanging on about gas pumping for traditional reasons, not rational reasons.

• Richard Sean Guevara says:

I was in the Philippines a few years back. They also pump gas for you there, but oddly enough they do it while your engine is still running. First time I experienced it, I thought I was gonna blow up in the backseat with the car lol

Haha… Yeah, most people don’t realize you can have car running when filling up.

• Jesus says:

I done that many times. Pump gas while the cat is running. Specially when I’m in a hurry.

How many comic shop’s did you hit on the trip and any good finds?

4. Ryan H says:

anyeone knwo where i can read scout comics online?