Comic Picks of the Week for Delivery 8/23/17

Each week hundreds of new comics hit the shelves, each with potential. Some live up to that potential. We pick the ones we think have the best chance at heating up. Here are the ones we think have the best shot at heating up. Here are our picks of the week for delivery 8/23/17:

Returning Favorites
Black Hammer #12 – The best superhero book on the market. Period.

Shirtless Bear Fighter #3 – Crazy laugh out loud funny. And Stupid, but good stupid. I love it.

Redneck #5 – Donny Cates is on the rise. This vampire family drama is one of the big reasons why. Read his pre-Marvel stuff now, while it lasts.

Plastic #5 – over the top weird, but such good read.

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe Again #4 – This has been a really great read. Even though it has been done before, Cullen Bunn makes it completely fresh.

Edge of Venomverse #5 – Deapool. Venomized. Mattina cover. The other ones haven’t been home runs, but this one stands the best chance.

Robotech #1 2nd Print – Not going to lie, I love this cover. It is just a few short weeks until NYCC and I will have some of these in hand for Artgerm to sign, and the first prints too.

The DC Covers

DC has been putting out great cover price variants, spotlighting my favorites.

Batman the Shadow #5 Mattina Variant – DC has had some winners lately with B covers, well this is a C cover. Mattina kills it on this. Already selling for $10.

Detective Comics #963 B Rafael Albuquerque cover. Awesome cover, Anarky had better have painted that on a statue, because he would have no teeth after paining his anarchy sign on Batman’s chest.

Nightwing The New Order #1 Paul Pope Variant – I almost never use images in my picks posts, but the brooding intensity of this Paul Pope Nightwing cover is awesome.

Frank Cho
Harley Quinn #26 – I know this is another DC cover but I think Frank needed his own category. I do not even read Harley but buy these covers. I love Cho’s work.

Pick of the Week
Weapon X #7 – This is the low hanging fruit. Sold out online, selling on eBay for a coupe of times cover price. And part of a very popular story. Grab it. Mycomicshop has some, but hurry, these will go quick.

That is it for me this week. Let us know what you are spec-ing on. And in case you missed it, here is this week’s New Comic Spec Review Video

16 Responses to Comic Picks of the Week for Delivery 8/23/17

1. Richard Sean Guevara says:

I’m in the same boat as you on those frank Cho Harley covers.

Lol. I have picked up over 50 copies recently in a $1 sale. I have stacks of them. Cho is at Baltimore. And bam. Signed and signed graded copies.

• A. King says:

If you have that many comics for him to sign, I think his hand might fall off.

He is pretty cool about signing stuff. I am going to go through his line a couple of times over the weekend.

• schweizerdavid says:

Let me know if you put them up for sale. Cho doesn’t come to Portland and I’ve been looking.

You have my address.. you know what to do! 😉

• Richard Sean Guevara says:

What the $1 sale that included the Harley variants by Cho where? 😩 Wish I could run into deals like that

It was at an antique store where they used to sell new comics. The owner said they got tired of Diamond messing up their orders so they just stopped ordering and put all their comics on $1 clearance. I picked them clean.

2. Richard Cuello says:

there’s a boo boo. Weapon X #7 – DC has had some winners lately with B covers, well this is a C cover. Mattina kills it on this. Already selling for $10.

3. Matt Cox says:

I think one of those Weapon X #7 should be the Mattina Batman/Shadow #5

4. David Bitterbaum says:

I guess I need to be sure and get me a, “Weapon X #7,” without a doubt!

5. Jesus says:

IF it was mentions twice in one post, it’s a definite pick.

6. Stanley says:

Some fans say batch H hulk reminds them of Doomsday. Superman man of steel 17-19 are valuable but later comics aren’t so hot. If history repeats, possibly diminishing returns after Weapon X 7?

7. JasonC says:

IMHO, WX#7 is a dud. No Hulkerine inside.

8. blind adam the comicpimp says:

frank chio plus Harley Quinn equals money. love the cover to #23 Harley &ivy dancing is #awesomesauce blind adam out