20 Responses to Things I Like and Don’t Like for the Week of May 2nd, 2018

1. Killerwit says:

BEST. COLUMN. EVER.

I got one for you: A comic that isn’t solicited as a mini-series until it nears it’s conclusions at which point the total count is included in the solicit. I’m looking at you VS from Image (#5 (of 5) in the latest Previews).

This is clearly a way to manipulate speculators and chaps my ass almost as much as Mark Millar’s final issue price gouging does.

Certainly is a kick in the balls (sorry ladies, not to exclude you all but I really can’t think of a politically correct way this morning of including you all with that statement). 🙂

I liked the idea of the column. So I gave carte Blanche to Poyo to run with it. There are plenty of things that grind my gears in the comic world and world of selling comics.

• JayClue says:

Come on, Poyo. The ladies get kick in the ovaries. Everyone knows that. The political correct way to say that is; ‘getting kicked in the Bs & Os’. This is how the kids say it, im led to believe. And it is an all inclusive statement now. 😉

And Millar doesn’t just kick you in the balls either, he takes your wallet while your on the ground in pain. 😉

• Elvi says:

Oh man. I really like VS. Good thing I’ve only been picking up a copy to read of that one.

2. I dislike that CGC’s free membership does not allow you to mail in a book to be graded. I also dislike the CBCS does not grade magazine size books. That combo forced me to use my LCS’s CGC account to submit my Love & Rockets 1 B&W. Because it is not my account, I don’t receive an email indicating that they even received the book, let alone the status. Since CGC does not verify signatures and Gilbert signed the book, it most likely will come with the dreaded Qualified label.

I think Poyo could absolutely run with this column!

3. Nick Matocho says:

No joke I like the hot take posts. I kind of hate the comic flip life but I’m addicted to eBay so I gotta make a comeup somewhere, just constantly feels like a mad dash to have all 400 volumes and #1s of hero books. Sometimes I just want a good, short run of something like Extremity or Bedlam

• Killerwit says:

Good call. As long as I know it’s a mini at the onset, I think that a fully planned story prior to issue one going to press has the most potential for a compelling narrative. I’ve even come around to thinking the same way about television series. Good stories have a beginning and an end, not a beginning and a vague idea of the conclusion.

I think this is where BKV excels…. His books give me the impression he knows the ending before starting the story.

• JayClue says:

Well said, killerwit. I completely agree with that premise.

4. I don’t like opening to a splash page and seeing 18 names listed as part of the production team. They all “gots” to get paid and that’s why comics cost $4-5 bucks…Fantastic four #1 has four names on it. Hulk 181 has 5 names….Do you need 18 people to make a quality book?

5. JayClue says:

Great read, Poyo. Love this articles concept. I read my books in chunks. Meaning, ill collect singles until a story arc is finished snd then sit down and read it all in one sitting. I read all my books this way. Having said that, the delays in shipping for books like Hillbilly dont bother me. I love Hillbilly and still have it on my pull list for whenever ot comes out. They dont bother me, but I do see how it kills a books momentum.i will be done with TWD singles after this arc finishes. The $1 increase in price and waning story are the readons for this. I will continue to read it in trades until issue 200, if it makes it that far.

I’ve been doing the same myself when reading. But since I’ve been waiting on trades for some reads, if there’s 6 or 7 months between issues, that means even the trades will habe longer gaps between them. If I read a trade and the next one comes out 2 years later, I’ve likely already moved on cause I’m not in the business of rereading what I’ve already read just to know whats going on again.

• Brennan says:

I like that. It’s easier to follow and retain. Unfortunately, I don’t have the patience to wait!

6. Dave says:

And with that Action 1000 and Amazing Spider-Man 800 just came out with 5 more variants…

7. John Dye says:

Stinky toilet monsters? Funny!!!