I received the following message from Kevin W. who spoke to CGC today. Here is his experience
Just spent 20 mins on phone with CGC. Here’s what they said. The problematic slabbing technique that they used has been corrected and only was used for a limited number of weeks after they switched to new case.
They said they would reslab all books from that time period, with corrected technique, free of charge, and would refund all shipping and insurance charges as credits to CGC account. They said that all these incorrectly stabbed books would be processed with their expedited service and turned around as first priority status.
I asked about grades being lowered due to potential damage to books, they said they’ve had no instances of that happening and that they are just reencapsulating…
I asked about books in new cases, from the time period immediately after case changeover, that have not, yet, exhibited signs of waviness etc., but may, in the future “creep”. They said that all invoices are dated so they can tell which one are from early (bad) slabbing technique and the newly corrected process. They said to send them all back and they will redo them.
As I currently have 150+ books out to CGC for grading, due back in mid-late July, I asked if I can hold out on returning improperly stabbed books until I receive my current order so that I can reuse their double walled boxes again to return them in, and I asked if they would honor the reslabbing fix ongoing, into the coming months. They said yes, any books moving forward that predate the fix to slabbing technique would be fixed free of charge into the indefinite future.
I asked specifically what they did to correct the issue that caused this big mess. They weren’t very specific about how they corrected it, but alluded to a “process change” that assured “equal pressure”.
I asked what assurances they could give that the 150 or so books I have out there would not have these problems and I asked why I should trust them on the next batch of 215 or so I have ready to send in… They said emphatically that the process was corrected and that they don’t anticipate any future issues.
I’m frustrated and wary. I’ve had thousands of books certified both for resale and my personal collection. This is a big blow to my business. I’ve had to pull down dozens of auctions, take returns from customers who bought stuff many weeks ago, and do damage control with eBay buyers. The hassle of returning what now amounts to about 139 books, but maybe as many as 240 is daunting to say the least. I’m going to move forward and see how well they handle this. I’m hopeful that they are resolute in solving this and minimizing damage to their brand and customer loyalty. They have always done right by me. I will report back after all of this is resolved.