Wednesday Open Forum

Wednesday

Wednesday, the best day of the week, new comic book day. It is like your birthday in the middle of each week (well, one where you buy your own presents.)

We open things up to hear from you. A free for all.

The 111th edition of the open forum!

Anyone see Dr. Strange yet?

“Don’t mess with my Wednesdays”.

As always we also want to hear about your weekly pickups.
So, What were your pick ups?
What had disappeared off the shelves?
What was sitting on the shelves?
What back issue deals did you grab?

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Wednesday Open Forum

1. DrunkWooky says:

Venom #1: Only reason I am picking this up is because my LCS owner offered the McFarlane sketch to me at cover price.

Civil War #7 Noto Variant: GOd, make it stop….Only reading so that Infamous Iron Man makes sense…

Star Wars #25: Like a sweet water oasis in the desert that is Marvel’s current offerings. Thank you Lucasfilm story team for keeping this thing coherent!

Ultimates2 #1: I’m really pissed that Civil War II derailed this awesome book for about 6 issues. Happy to be back to what we all care about: GALACTUS!

I’ll be back with a less cynical attitude next week.

Not much on the shopping list for tomorrow, but I am planning on going to my main shop and cleaning out my pullbox if I can get off work in time. Hopefully I will have time at work to go by one or two shops before I get off.

Walking dead has become a dead show bad acting, bad character introductions, plot holes you could drive a RV into, and just planning boring. Ratings are reflecting this, speeding right into the whisperers for more new characters with bad introductions and acting isn’t going to help things along.

• Brennan says:

Agreed.
      This show has definitely dropped off in my opinion. They killed it with the cliffhanger and I don’t think they’ve recovered yet.

• I still love the show. This season has been brutal and anything but boring in my opinion.

I think it’s picked back up from the past few seasons. But the only gripe I have is, the entire episodes at one location.. at the Hilltop or Alexandria, etc. I wish they would do these in smaller chunks, cover multiple locations and storylines in same episode.. I’m not liking this, 4 episodes, 4 stories.. rather have bits and pieces from each.. the show will flow better, at least I think it would..

My wife was getting annoyed with the fact that it was nighttime in Hilltop but it would cut to Carl (Coral as Rick says) and it was day time. The flow of time was not good.

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, which tells me why they need to do bits and pieces of each story side by side.. not entire episodes at one spot, which could be past, present or future compare to the other stories.. it’s just like the next episode.. it’s gonna cover Tara and Heath likely on their run.. probably around the same time frame glenn and abraham getting their heads bashed in..

4. degreesofseparation1968 says:

Won’t be getting to shop this week.

And not seen Dr Strange yet, was gonna go on release night, but something cropped up and not rebooked yet. But I have booked my ticket for Midnight showing of Rogue One on 14th December!!

Joe and I are so looking forward to Rogue One. That’s all he has been talking about.

Sent from my iPhone

• degreesofseparation1968 says:

I’ll be going to see it again with my step-sister, we have an annual “see-the-latest-blockbuster-at-Christmas-and-then-go-on-a-pub-crawl” tradition to uphold! ;o)

Trailers do look truly awesome

Anything ending in pub crawl sounds like an awesome holiday tradition. We are actually having thanksgiving dinner in a bar/restaurant this year. Just sitting all day in the sports bar and watching football.

Sent from my iPhone

• degreesofseparation1968 says:

Day in sports bar sounds the business

Looking forward to it. Joe is looking forward to a day of football on tv too.

Dr. Strange was great. Totally looking forward to Rogue One myself.

• degreesofseparation1968 says:

It’s still showing in a few cinemas here despite being out for 4 weeks now, I’ll catch it tomorrow I reckon

• Brennan says:

I can’t believe I STILL haven;t had time to go! I’m hoping to go on Sat.

5. Brennan says:

So these are the books I’m pulling, but I don’t think I will buy them all today as I just purchased a very expensive engagement ring on Monday!
    My pulls are:
    Star Wars
    ASM
    Flash
    Hellblazer
    Thor
    Venom

Congrats Brennan, one piece of advice, all the focus will always be on the engagement and the wedding. Those are the fun and exciting times. The marriage part is the hard part. Always work and put effort on them.

• brennan says:

Thank you both!
        Tony, I hear you, the buying of the ring and the wedding itself are indeed the easy parts! Just like with most in life, it’s the day to day that can be a challenge. We’ve been together for three years now, and are both in our mid-thirties so it’s about time! We still make sure to say please and thank you and tell each other I love you all the time. It really helps!
        ps. going “OWOW!!” every time she changes her clothes doesnt hurt either! 😉

Lol. Once you have kids (if you have kids) things change and it becomes stressful. It’s tough at that point for the first 7 years at least (I have 4 more years until my youngest is 7) but I digress. It’s awesome and congrats.

Sent from my iPhone

• brennan says:

That what I keep hearing. I don’t know how you can work all day and then go home and work most of the night. Sounds like a recipe for a long drive off of a short pier of you ask me!

Don’t have kids and have a happy marriage forever as they’ll be the only special one in your life. Don’t get me wrong though, kids are awesome, they make life amazingly better but they ruin everything else that’s good about life that! 😛

Congrats nonetheless..

Can’t have anything nice with kids or dogs, that’s what my dad always said. Anytime my kids do something wrong or break something I say that.

Sent from my iPhone

Cats too.. they puke on everything. At least the cat that lives in our house does.

I can’t do cats. Allergic. Unless they are one of those creepy hairless.

Sent from my iPhone

6. brennan says:

So my shop didn’t order AD. None.
    My buddy who works wednesday’s is all WTF??!! (The guy who does the ordering is kind of an idiot but he’s related to the owner….)
    I figure I can get it on the weekend somewhere else.

Well, in the guy who order’s defense (trying not to chuckle) it’s not like Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire are big name creators. (Even though to me it’s like one of the rock and roll supergroups of comics)

Lemire not only writes awesome books, I love his freaking art as well. That’s super rare with most comic book writers today.

Venom #2 Frankie’s Dell Otto is nice looking

8. degreesofseparation1968 says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all you USA people tomorrow, I imagine you’ll all be too busy stuffing turkey to be on here! Don’t get the meat sweats…

9. John says:

I really enjoyed Dr. Strange. Such a nice change of pace from what you normally expect from superhero films. As far as pickups go, it was a pretty light week for me:

Venom (Had dibs on the McFarlane sketch variant at my LCS, but it arrived with a big tear in the cover. They’re getting a replacement sent to them, but I would think that the big flip potential will be all but gone by the time they receive it.)

A.D.
    Outcast
    Star Wars
    Wonder Woman Jenny Frison cover (Loving the art she has been doing for these covers, just amazing work)
    Harley Quinn Frank Cho cover
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme Frazer Irving variant (Thanks to Mel V for the heads up on this one, such a sweet cover)

10. Cody says:

With 4 kids at home I’ve been laying low but now that I am done with Christmas shopping I came back with a bang…

Tales to astonish #s 74, 82, 85, 86, 87, 88, 94, 96, 101
    Hulk 106
    Caliber presents #1(first crow)

And venom now #1×3

11. jclu007 says:

1. Congrats, Brennan.
    2. A nice compromise between kids and no kids is…nieces and nephews. You get to see them grow up and be a part of their lives, but you also get to send them home after the weekend.
    3. Not all cats puke. If your cat is puking all over you should try changing its food and or looking into hairball control. Excessive cat puking is typically indicative of other problems, it is not normal and can be controlled or eliminated all together if treated.
    4. I managed to grab a copy of the Venom sketch, it cost me $100 CDN, but that early Venom image is practically what got me reading comics back in the late 80s, early 90s. I love the sinister smile he sports, before the fangs and Saliva that Larson introduced to the character. So, it was pricey but I love me some symbiotes and I love me some McFarlane. This was a must own for my PC. I got a really clean copy and it’s in hand, no worrying about shipping. It was a good read too. I hope the rest of the series reads better than most Marvel. Fingers crossed. I am officially in the market looking for an ASM 300.

I love that this has become Comics Heating Up and Marriage advice. I did kind of start it. (I am enjoying everyone’s perspective on it though).

I could have bought a Venom 1 Black and White for $60 and may regret turning it down.

Sent from my iPhone

12. J. Coleman says:

LCS

Harley Quinn 8 var
    Killer Inside Me 3 var
    A.D. 1
    Thief of Thieves 37
    Mockingbird 8 reg

Online

Aliens Life And Death #2
    Amazing Spider-Man Vol 4 #20 Cover A 1st Ptg Regular Alex Ross Cover (Clone Conspiracy Tie-In)
    Archie Vol 2 #13 Cover A Regular Veronica Fish Cover
    Astonishing Ant-Man #13 Cover A Regular Julian Totino Tedesco Cover
    Beauty #11 Cover B Danielle Otrakji
    Black Hammer #4 Cover B Variant Jeff Lemire Cover
    Black Panther Vol 6 #7 Cover C Variant Bill Sienkiewicz Marvel Hip-Hop Cover (Marvel Now Tie-In)
    Black Widow Vol 6 #7 Cover A Regular Chris Samnee Cover (Marvel Now Tie-In)
    Captain America Sam Wilson #14 Cover A Regular Marcos Martin Cover (Marvel Now Tie-In)
    Carnage Vol 2 #13
    Green Lanterns #9 Cover B Variant Emanuela Lupacchino Cover
    Harrow County #17
    Hellboy And The BPRD 1954 Black Sun #2
    Horizon #4
    I Hate Fairyland #10 Cover B Variant Skottie Young F*ck Fairyland Cover
    Indoctrination #4
    Infamous Iron Man #1 Cover B Variant Anthony Piper Marvel Hip-Hop Cover (Marvel Now Tie-In)
    Jeff Steinberg Champion Of Earth #3
    Justice League Vol 3 #7 Cover A Regular Tony S Daniel & Sandu Florea Cover
    Mechanism #4 Cover B Variant Raffaele Ienco Cover
    Mighty Thor Vol 2 #12
    Ninjak Vol 3 #20 Cover A Regular Mike Choi Cover
    Plus Ultra #6
    Spider-Gwen Vol 2 #13
    Superman Vol 5 #9 Cover B Variant Andrew Robinson Cover
    Symmetry #8 Cover B Variant Raffaele Ienco Cover
    Throwaways #4
    Trinity Vol 2 #2 Cover B Variant Frank Cho Cover
    White #1 NEXT WEEK
    X-Files Vol 3 #7 Cover A Regular Menton3 Cover
    Zombie Tramp Vol 2 #28 Cover A Regular Dan Mendoza Cover

Happy Turkey Day Everyone!

What’s up guys? Happy Thanksgiving. I got to clean out my pullbox yesterday, and it was not as packed as I thought.
    My pullbox……
    Titans #5a and b
    Flash #11a and b
    Superman #10 and #11 $3.99 newstand ×2
    After Death #1
    Harley Quinn #8
    Reborn #1a 1st print
    I guess it is time for a second round of turkey. Later!

nice pre-turkey pickups… No turkey for me, ended up with a Moscow Mule and chicken and waffles followed by Blue moons.

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 8:22 PM, COMICSHEATINGUP.NET wrote: