Wednesday Open Forum

Wednesday

Wednesday, the best day of the week, new comic book day. It is like your birthday in the middle of each week (well, one where you buy your own presents.)

We open things up to hear from you. A free for all.

The 129th edition of the open forum!

We start in on our fifth year this month, which seems insane to say since this started out as something to do with nervous energy while my wife was pregnant with our second son, and about five and a half million views over that time (it was a slow in the beginning), I just want to say thank you to everyone who checks out the site each week. I know some of you guys just started checking out the site, others have been here since the early days, but regardless, thanks to each and every person who has checked out the site over the past four years.

As always we also want to hear about your weekly pickups.
So, What were your pick ups?
What had disappeared off the shelves?
What was sitting on the shelves?
What back issue deals did you grab?

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Wednesday Open Forum

Ninjak #25 Frison 1:50

2. Douglass Calmes says:

Karma Police #1
    Space Riders #1
    Suicide Split Both cvrs

3. Dewayne Scott says:

Picking up Suicide Squad/Banana Splits #1 covers A+ B . Banana Splits was the show that kept my attention growing up.

Man. It was like an acid trip each episode. But I remember the Banana Splits fondly. They were they giant plush The Monkees

• OC_Guy says:

Yeah, they were a trip! Always though anything Sid and Marty Kroft were involved with was kinda cool and kinda creepy all at the same time!

4. Brennan says:

Someone remind me to order the Gwenvincible cover when I go in tomorrow!
    I need this in in my collection and really don’t want to have to get it on eBay!

I am getting :
    Booster gold/the flintstones
    DkIII
    Mercs for money francavilla variant
    Image +
    Inhumans prime
    Jughead the hunger francavilla variant
    Outcast
    Thanos guillory venomized variant

Small week. My wallet is thanking me so far but the list always seems to grow when I get to the shop.

5. J.Dan Patane says:

Going to be a light week for me.
    Definitely hoping to find a few more God Country #1 3p and Action Comics 976 left behind at either of the LCS I frequent.

I forgot to grab Action Comics today. I went back for one of the 100 Heathen 2 my LCS ordered and they were all gone. Crap. I sold my one for $30. Might grab another when prices come down.

• JayClue says:

I couldn’t find Heathen #2 any where last week. Sitting on issue #1 still.

• Vann says:

Prices should be coming down shortly….this has been one of those books that I think half the country had access to last week…..the other half of the country gets it this week. I am only guesstimating 1/2 of the country here of course. Basically, the same kind of story as Atoll #1….$25 out of the gate, the following week, the rest of the deliveries were made and the price immediately cut in half…

• Richard Sean says:

Your LCS ordered 100 of them? That’s nuts! My shop got 0, but then again its to be expected from a small publisher. They did track down a #1 for me last week and got it in for me at cover price. Which was really nice of them. Hoping they’re able to do the same with #2 as I actually enjoyed the first issue.

Yeah. They ordered heavy on it.

• John Oppliger says:

Pretty disappointed that I pre-ordered issue 2 via Previews three months ago, but my LCS didn’t get a copy for me last week or this week.

6. comicevents says:

This is what I have locked down:
    Harley’s Little Black Book #6 (Cover A)
    Suicide Squad Banana Splits Special #1 (Cover A Clyde Caldwell)
    Moonshine #6 (Cover C Jill Thompson Women’s History Month Variant)
    Rift #3 (Of 4)
    Hook Jaw #4 (Cover A Conor Boyle)
    White #4

Will be looking for
    Harley’s Little Black Book #6 Bisley 1:25
    Ghost Rider #5 Venomized Weaver
    Whichever Inhumans Prime Variant that catches my eye.

7. This is actually kind of a big week for me:

-Jughead: The Hunger (Francavilla Cover): This is close enough to Afterlife that I’ll buy it. It still sticks in my craw that Archie Comics can’t just f*C%ing release the Afterlife series. It can not be this difficult to put out a book at least quarterly. Their pace makes stalagmites seem like Usain Bolt.

-Space Riders Galaxy of Brutality: There is a 50 print run copy of this up on Books-a-Million right now. I might snag a couple in case this bad boy heats up. I’ve been burned by Black Mask before though.

-Old Man Logan #20: the combination of the film and Lemire’s next solicited arc, “Past Lives” sucked me back into this series. It’s good. Good as in, underground Adamantium encased Wolverine shrine good. Banner’s grandchild, Warlord (I think that’s his name) is pretty bad ass as well. Nice American Flag cape, dude!

-Thanos #5 Guillory: More Lemire. I like the direction this has been taken in. I wonder how Thanos’ weakness plays into his interaction with the Queen of Hel in Unworthy Thor #5!?

-X-MEn Prime #1: With fingers crossed I dive in.

8. 2ndfullcameoappearance says:

Space Riders. Flew off the shelf at my LCS. It’s the bomb.
    You know what Marvel book has been really good? The new Ghost Rider. Fun book, I love the fact they’ve brought the character emblem back on their covers as well.
    I dropped the DK III a long time ago, after about issue 3. This mini series, did it start a couple of years ago? Feels like it.
    Delays = lost interest. Every time.

9. Brennan says:

So my shop is having some serious ordering issues. You never know what they are and aren’t going to order. The owner doesn’t seem to care though and I’ve only ever seen him twice.
    Half my list wasn’t ordered this week. I have to hit a further shop on the way home, and even that shop didn’t get some of the variants I wanted so I was forced to go online. Luckily I found a shop that ships across Canada for only $6 and charges about what my regular shop does for the books.

Time to find a new shop sadly.

• JayClue says:

If your alternate shop is Newmarket, there’s another shop 5 minutes away on Yonge in north aurora called R&D collectibles. They are a small shop but really good owners and they get some small Indy stuff and there is a lot of variants in their back bins. Just a heads up.

Midtown listed next weeks books.. AD After Death signed Snyder #1 and #2 up on site for $5.99 each.

11. I made out ok today.

First, I got that DKIII Sienkiwicz variant. Listed immediately. Should subsidize my whole pull this week.

Second, Venomized Thanos, Inhumans Prime, and X-Men Prime. I wasn’t going to pick up Inhumans, but I got on kind of a “Venomized” tear there.

Third, nabbed Space Riders. There were only two copies at my LCS. I also ordered some of the Virgin covers from Books-a-Million. Supposedly, they are limited to 50 copies, so those should pay off nicely.

Fourth, Jughead, The Hunger. No Francavilla cover, but Walsh’s interiors look great. It looks like he leaned even further in Francavilla’s direction to match Afterlife’s vibe. Looks great.

Old Man Logan, too.

I also placed an order for the ComicXposure Mattina variants. I’m taking a risk here, but I think these will do well. Once people catch on to the fact that X-23 is integral to Venom-Verse, I think this will heat up significantly.

• Richard Sean says:

Is there a print run on those Mattina covers? And would the All-New Wolverine #18 Venomized Variant be considered her first appearance if she does end up being super integral to Venom-verse?

• They haven’t reported the print run on the virgin covers yet. I doubt that they will say this issue is X-23 venom’s first appearance if she is just on the variant cover. Things didn’t pan out that way for Gwenpool on Deadpool’s Secret Secret Wars. If she gets venomized inside issue 6 we’re in a different ball game I think.

I typed in 500 into ComicXposure’s website under the virgin lot and it came back as only allowing 220 copies a couple minutes ago. That must mean there are only a couple hundred of one of those variants in that 4 pack. Either that or they are holding back thousands of copies.

No. The total print run on the Mattina virgins are 1000 copies. They updated it on their site I think. They put it out in social media I know.

3,000 A and B 1000 virgins.

I don’t think it will be a first appearance but it will do nicely on the after market when Venomverse hits stands and the first issue is about X-23 being venomized. It’s up on Midtown’s Previews for pre-order now.. and you can still pick up All-New Wolverine #18 Venomized cover there as well..

The Martina’s are listed on eBay for over asking price already.

12. J. Coleman says:

LCS

Hatchet 0 Hasson cvr
    Image + 12

Online

Action Comics Vol 2 #974 Cover B Variant Gary Frank Cover
    Aliens vs Predator Life And Death #3
    Amazing Spider-Man Vol 4 #24 Cover B Variant Joe Jusko Corner Box Cover (Clone Conspiracy Tie-In)
    Beauty #12 Cover B Yunfan Zhou
    Divinity III Stalinverse #3 Cover A Regular Jelena Kevic-Djurdjevic Cover
    Elektra Vol 4 #1 Cover C Variant Marco Checchetto Connecting Cover
    Fix #8
    Flash Vol 5 #17 Cover A Regular Carmine Di Giandomenico Cover
    Frostbite #6
    Fury Of Firestorm #28 1st Slipknot
    Grimm Fairy Tales Presents Grimm Tales Of Terror April Fools Edition 2017 Cover B Anthony Spay NEXT WEEK (need to buy this before they’re ordered to be destroyed by Trump on twitter)
    Harbinger Renegade #4 Cover C Variant Monika Palosz Cover
    HCF 2016 Zombie Tramp vs The Doll-Faced Witch Hunter #1
    Hookjaw #3 Cover C Variant Nick Percival Cover
    Inhumans vs X-Men #5 Cover B Variant Michael Cho Cover
    Jughead Vol 3 #13 Cover B Variant Ben Caldwell Cover
    Justice League Of America Vol 5 #1 Cover B Variant Mark Brooks Cover
    Letter 44 #30
    Loose Ends Vol 2 #2 Cover A Regular Chris Brunner & Rico Renzi Cover
    Occupy Avengers #4
    Old Guard #1 Cover A 1st Ptg Regular Leandro Fernandez Cover
    Outcast By Kirkman & Azaceta #25 Cover A Regular Paul Azaceta & Elizabeth Breitweiser Cover
    Rocket Raccoon Vol 3 #3
    Thing From Another World Eternal Vows #2
    Thing From Another World Eternal Vows #3 Just need #4 now
    Vampblade 98 One Shot Cover E Variant Daniel Campos Vampblade Cover
    Wonder Woman Vol 5 #17 Cover B Variant Jenny Frison Cover
    World War X #3 Cover C Variant Nick Percival Cover

13. schweizerdavid says:

At the beach this week. The lcs does not carry new books. I did preorder the Bisley Harley long before the cover was finalized.

14. JayClue says:

I went to the one LCS in my area that would have had a Bisley Harley and it sold a few customers before me. DoH. My pick ups this week included:
    X-Men Prime #1, reg, 1:25, Torque
    Inhumans Prime #1, 1:25, Torque
    White #4
    Animosity #6
    OML #20
    J.L.A. #3A
    Suicide Squad and Banana Splits A&B
    Thanos #5, reg and Venomized
    Cap’n Marvel #3, Venomized x2
    Jughead the Hunger #1
    Red Sonja #2, JSC variant x2
    Cannibal #1
    Image+ #12

Small week for me so far, pick ups included…….
    White #4
    Captain Marvel #3 venomized
    That’s it for now, going to check out a couple shops tomorrow and maybe grab something else.

Local shop was shorted White #4…. It is driving me crazy. The book does such a great job at building suspense, and now I cannot see how it ends….

• JayClue says:

I have an extra copy of White #4, I bought one at the store today and then realized I had a copy waiting at another store as a preorder. I have no need for two copies and dont want to tell the shop I preordered from that I dont need the copy that they have waiting for me. We can work something out if you’re interested, Tony.

Ok I will keep that in mind. The shop is supposed to get me one in, but if they don’t, you are my go to

You should have told me Anthony, I could of nabbed one for you.

I didn’t know until late in the evening when I got to the store.

I bet I was talking to Fabian Rangel when you realized no White #4 and then you could have pinged me and I’d grab it while I was checking out.. 🙂

Details details.

They are supposed to get them in later this week so I should be ok. I hope.

16. JayClue says:

I was just looking through June’s previews and on page 77 there’s a preview for XMen Blue #6. There’s 3 characters standing in middle surrounded by goons. It’s Beast, Jean Grey (I think), and a 3rd character who is pixelated out. I wonder why.

• JayClue says:

I caved and bought a Bisley Black Book 1:25. It was a new listing from the same province as me. There’s a small crack on the spine above the top staple but it looks clean otherwise. $60 US +$10 shipping. Two of my all time favourite characters, and Bisley to boot + that booty on Harley in her Fanboy jacket…I couldn’t resist. It is a beautiful cover though, IMO. What do you think the legs are on this?

• Richard Sean says:

They’ve been trying to tease wolverine or closely associated with him returning. Probably just to build hype. Hope Marvel doesn’t rely on hyping stuff up more than actually putting together series together.

Ah. That is the Ultimate Wolverine. Or so it has been rumored. From Ultimate X #1. They don’t want you to know they are potentially bringing another Wolverine/clone/child into the Marvel U. Remember all the universes folded into one, or at least the Ultimate universe has joined the 616.

17. I was busy yesterday and didn’t get to check the site at all.

Peepland
    Hatchet
    James Bond Hammerhead
    Lord of Gore
    Postal

My shop has been kind of slipping lately with some titles so I had a much bigger week than I anticipated because he had a few comics that were missed in previous weeks.

18. tim says:

Black Hammer #7
    Captain Marvel #3(Venomized)
    DKIII #8
    HookJaw #3, #4 (#1 and #2 not found, ordered #1)
    Jughead: The Hunger
    Karma Police #1
    Man-Thing #2
    The Old Guard #2
    Space Raiders: Galaxy of Brutality #1
    Star Trek: Boldly Go #6
    Quantum Teens Are Go #1
    White #1, #3 (#2 and #4 not found, ordered #4)

Looks like HookJaw #2 and White #2 will be rare and hard to find.
    Also Gamora #4(Venomized) is not to be found in my area.

• Richard Sean says:

Believe Gamora came out last week so I’m sure those were all bought up.

Nice pick up on the captain marvel venom cover. Didn’t find that anywhere down here.

19. Eric R says:

Was able to finally get to the comic shop after ear infection and ruptured ear drum. Feels good to read some awesome stories and take my mind off the pain.

Picked up:
    White #3 and #4 (Finally able to finish this series, which with Atoll, are some of the best stories about sharks I’ve read!)
    Old Guard #2
    Hookjaw #4
    All New Wolverine #1 regular cover (2 copies for cover price, I didn’t realize what these are now selling for)
    New X-men #134 1st Kid Omega/Quentin Quire (These are starting to heat up)-for cover price
    Heathen #1 -my comic shop got a reorder and I was able to get a copy.

Has anyone heard about some heat related to Hal Jordan and Green Lantern Corps #17? If so, why?

Thanks