Poyo’s Picks for May 17th, 2017

Each week hundreds of new comics hit the stands, each with potential, we pick the ones we feel have the best shot at heating up…   Oh scrap that, that’s how Anthony starts his picks of the week each week..

Let’s just get on with the picks for a very light week if you ask me, so it’s gonna be short and sweet.

DC/Vertigo Pick

The Flash #22 (DC) – The Button Part 4. What a great crossover story arc. Even if you aren’t reading Batman or Flash, you can pick up these and enjoy them.

Marvel Pick

Secret Empire #2 (Marvel) – I expect big things to happen in this issue. (Did you see the spoilers for it yet?) Despite people burning copies of the FCBD edition of Secret Empire (real protesters would pay for a copy and then burn it, so don’t be a cheap protester, do it right if you do plan to protest), you should still pay attention to these big Marvel events as they impact the rest of the Marvel Universe, make their way into the movies, etc.

Small Publisher Pick

Grrl Scouts Magic Socks #1 (Image) – It’s either going to be great or a dud I think. Mafood has his audience, it might just be for a certain type of audience though. While it may likely be for his fan following, it’s definitely worth checking out.

Indie Pick

Eleanor & The Egret #2 (Aftershock) – Yeah, Aftershock to me is growing. It’s moving into the Small Publisher realm as it gains more and more titles and readers. You can’t go wrong with a Layman and Kieth team-up. Don’t buy this one for the spec though, buy it to read it.

That’s it folks!

15 Responses to Poyo’s Picks for May 17th, 2017

1. Jeremy Abbott says:

Burning books? What are they upset about this time? Well maybe if they burn enough of them they will shrink the print run and make it rare.

Yeah, people were burning the FCBD Secret Empire cause they got their panties all knotted up over a fictional story where Cap America is now with Hydra…

Real protesters would buy the issue, then burn it. Burning a free comic book out of protest is so millenialish..

Ugh. We have to pay to protest? Ugh. No one said anything about that.

Yes.. that’s why I just protest by signing those petitions in my email and giving them a few bucks.. I protest from my the comfort of my couch.. technology is great!

I was on a hunger strike and failed. Damn you pizza delivery guy.

• I completely missed the book burnings also. THat’s hilarious.

• I actually haven’t read any articles, only headlines, about the backlash from the FCBD issue. But in reading the book I am guessing they are not only upset about Hydra-Cap, but also upset that he was still able to lift Mjolnir. The hammer finding him worthy is almost like saying his current actions are still considered to be noble, even while aiding in atrocities. People are probably taking this as Marvel saying “Hitler was Right!” by having Cap still able to lift Thor’s hammer. Personally, it makes me more interested to see where they are going with this story; not to attack Marvel and paint a false picture of their “agendas”.

2. Louie says:

I didn’t know ppl were burning books either. Is it still over the cap-hydra thing? Don’t ppl know how comics work? Lol

3. Ric Lancaster says:

I saw some southern state based u tuber burn his copies of the x-men number #1 over the artists hidden texts cos hes american and a christian, albeit probably an out of pocket one !

That’s surprising.. I’d figure someone like that couldn’t even read the comic, they just buy them for the pictures.. 🙂

• I could not believe all of the stupid comments I’ve read online about X-men Gold… with people being angry with X-men over the actions of an artist. People dropping the book, people selling off their collections, people never going to watch another X-men movie, etc. Was it the X-men’s fault?? And if not for the online backlash, I never would have noticed or even understood the implications of the material hidden in the background in the artwork… and neither would a lot of the people complaining.