DC Cancels Orders for Suicide Black Files Issues

Here is something weird. A lot of people in the spec community were following this one.  More to follow:

Originally Bleeding Cool had mentioned the book would have first appearances of characters and went so far as comparing it to New Mutants 98.

The writer Jai Nitz had no problems running with the New Mutants 98 comparison.

And being his own hype man.
<!–

But for whatever reason, DC has decided to cancel the book which would have been DC’s New Mutants #98. I expect we will hear more about this to come.

24 Responses to DC Cancels Orders for Suicide Black Files Issues

1. Richard Sean Guevara says:

Lolol so much for people trying to pump this up

Were people trying to pump this up? I know Bleeding cool had given hype because of the new characters calling it “DC’s NM98”.

That’s a bold statement and prediction to make. I know I would never make such prediction, cause NM98 is a big book to go up against for being more of a modern book with it’s hefty price tag it carries nowadays.

• Richard Sean Guevara says:

I believe the artist/writer I forget which one it was, but they were all over twitter talking it up. And of course after the order cutoff date they went silent. Brian Springman brought this up in a google+ group a few weeks back.

Oh. I don’t go on G+ so I had no idea. I was mentioning the article Bleeding Cool wrote about this being the next New Mutants 98, bigger than Jesus, and better than sliced bread.

• DrunkWooky says:

Also, NM98 wasn’t even the NM98 of its day. It’s frankly disproportionate value growth relative to its print run didn’t occur until the last what, five years?

I used to buy them for $20 all day long not that long ago.

I remember NM#98 still on the shelf for months when it was released. NM#87 was the hyped book back then sold out first day.

I recall reading my NM98 and was like.. meh, threw it in the back of my closet where it got pushed around, crinkled up, bent, crushed, etc. Then it went off one spring cleaning to either the 5 cent bin at the garage sale or off to the dump. That’s why spec’ing is so fun, you just never know and anyone who claims they do know is either FOS or just making a guess, that they might be lucky if right.

I would only compare books with super horribly drawn feet to New Mutants #98

4. schweizerdavid says:

Just because I don’t see mention of it here, the assumed reason is that the writer’s new character was an amalgam of Neil Gaiman’s Endless, without Gaiman’s approval.

Even if it was a mixture of an existing character or characters, that’s done all the time. I mean, look at DC characters vs Marvel characters, so many have resemblances between the two universes. I mean unless the character was a total and complete rip off (powers and looks), I can’t see this being the primary reason they yanked it.

No. I am hearing it is because of the writers actions. Sounds like someone will be quietly fired from DC.

Quietly fired is better than getting fired Trump style.. “YOU’RE FIRED” is heard ’round the world. 🙂

5. Karl El De May says:

I’m very new to all this so not fully in the know about which sources are reliable, but I have noticed that Bleedingcool is thought to publish Moreno or less anything they hear regardless of the reliability of their source.

Would like to know your thoughts on that Anthony.

Thanks.

Sounds about right.

I don’t do Bleeding Cool.. they could do the internet a favor by just going away, they would not be missed.

• alana says:

Bleeding Cool is ok, I use about 8 comic sites Bleeding Cool included, mobile DC and Marvel games, certain comic book related people’s twitters, Reddit, Latino Review, and a personal friend who is involved with sounds and music for some DC and Marvel films. That’s what I use daily to comic spec.

Theres just too much controversy around them stealing news without giving due credit.

Anthony though keeps the chains tight, says he’ll disown me if I go to other sites. 😉

Damn straight.

6. chfrontst says:

I’m down with whatever DC is doing right now in books. Whatever reason they delayed this I’m cool with. I’m sure it was thought over before they made a decision. DC is on top of their game right now and seem to be really focused on content and not cash grab. Keep up the great work DC.