Wednesday Open Forum

Wednesday

Wednesday, the best day of the week, new comic book day. It is like your birthday in the middle of each week (well, one where you buy your own presents.)

We open things up to hear from you. A free for all.

The 147th edition of the open forum!

Crazy Week. Black Optioned… Millarverse bought out by Netflix…. Josh Brolin revealed as Cable… Discuss.

As always we also want to hear about your weekly pickups.
So, What were your pick ups?
What had disappeared off the shelves?
What was sitting on the shelves?
What back issue deals did you grab?

Anthony’s Pickups

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Wednesday Open Forum

1. Cody says:

Hey Anthony, this lady I’m buying a collection from just hit me up about her old nes and snes stuff haha. Gotta love being in the right place at the right time.

2. Brennan says:

Finally finished my summer painting projects. No. More. Painting.
    Woohoo!!!

Tomorrow I will be getting :
    Action comics
    Back to the future
    Deadpool kills the marvel universe again
    Detective comics
    Edge of venomverse
    Hal Jordan
    Once and future Kings
    Manifest destiny
    Redlands – one per store
    Secret empire
    Dr. Aphra
    Supergirl
    ASM
    Flash
    A few marvel true believers

Did some $2 bin digging (Canadian) and these are what I grabbed. Some old cable and x force keys(ish), and some foils. The Ali Baba’s signed lol.

Have fun tomorrow everyone! Stay hydrated!

3. Richard Sean Guevara says:

For those of you who bought the SDCC variant of Flashpoint #1 what condition did your books arrive in?

• Alana says:

The three I ordered are perfect. Have been bagged boarded since 2011

• Richard Sean Guevara says:

Man I got two copies and they both have a pretty bad bend to them. And have all kinds of color breaks/ticks on the spine. I’ve sent them an email but still no response since last Saturday.

• BED says:

I’m sorry to hear that. I was shocked by how great of condition my 2 copies arrived in. Sounds like they ran through all their back stock and not all were in the same condition. Was your package banged up due to poor postal handling?

• OC_Guy says:

No problems with mine. You may want to find a number online.

• David Billadeau says:

They came NM, both copies.

The negative effects of the Millarworld deal are surfacing. Disney is pulling all content from Netflix and starting their own streaming service. So the Netflix Marvel shows may be done because of this and no idea if the shows can continue outside of Netflix on the new Disney streaming service.

• Jesus says:

It was bound to happen. I hate Disney. I was super upset when they bought out Lucas Films and then when Marvel merged with them I was ” Yup it’s over!” It sucks cuz it seams that no one is allowed to make money but Disney. Oh well what can we do…

• Karl says:

I both agree and disagree with that Disney comment.

I generally don’t like corporate powerhouses that force monopolies… but that said Disney have done amazing things with both the marvel franchise and especially the Star Wars one.

I have been a fan of Star Wars from when I can remember and as kid read all the books that were released. I coped with George’s second trilogy simply because I love anything with lightsabers and the force but in reality they were terrible.

Also what he did with digitally remastering the original series and then not letting anyone have the true originals was criminal.

Then look at the two Star Wars films Disney have already released and they are, especially rogue one, truly awesome!!!!!!

So I wouldn’t hate on Disney too much…..

That is odd. And the reason is Marvel releases many Millarverse books. I think they all come out of Marvel now.

• Alana says:

All Disney content will be pulled by 2019 from what I’m reading. Netflix shares dropped 7% from the news.

• Alana says:

They say the Marvel shows are safe for the time being, but come 2019 their fate is in the air on if they will continue and if they do will they still be on netflix and not Disney’s new service.

• Alana says:

I imagine Cloak and Dagger will end up on Disney’s streaming service if it sticks around.

• Jason says:

Empress is Marvel/Icon, but Jupiters Legacy, Huck, Reborn, etc, have been from Image.

5. Brian Springman says:

Redlands – one per store
    Dr. Aphra.. love Dr. Aphra

6. Eric R says:

Picked up the following books this week:
    Supergirl (Artgerm variant X 2)
    Doctor Fate #1-really liked Tom King’s Vision series and hope it will that good
    Secret Empire #8 (Campbell variant)
    Kill or Be Killed
    Doctor Aphra
    Sacred Creatures #2

PC pick ups this week:
    Galaktikon SDCC foil variant exclusive (had a chance to read this and it is awesome! Did it remind anyone else of watching Heavy Metal from 1981?-loved the movie!)
    Doctor Aphra #4 40th anniversary variant X 3 for $5 each
    Superman/Batman Annual #4 for $3.00

Good hunting everyone!

• David Billadeau says:

Nice pickup on the Superman Batman annual #4!

• Eric R says:

Was just out picking up my pulls at my local shop. Was looking to see if they had any Superman Batman Annual #4 copies.

Struck out, but did find Superman/Gen 13 #2 J Scott Campbell variant cover for $5! Needless I couldn’t pay fast enough. Can’t believe it was just sitting there….

I sold one of the Superman Gen 13 J Scott Campbell variants recently. It is always amazing what you can find when shops don’t know what they are sitting on.

7. Derek Magnus says:

Rose
    Mister Miracle
    Babyteeth

8. schweizerdavid says:

Picking up today:
    Low 19
    Invader Zim 22

Maybe:
    Artgerm Supergirl

Dropping:
    Squirrel Girl at 23 (thought I could make it to 25)

Mail call:
    Bloom County Brand Spanking New Day HC signed by Berke Breathed (new Opus & Bill!!!)

9. schweizerdavid says:

I bought the one and only copy of the Artgerm Supergirl I could find.

10. John Oppliger says:

Went to three comic stores this morning and found only one copy of Artgerm’s Supergirl 12 cover B.

11. Taylor Cook says:

I preordered 8 of the artgerm supergirl that came out this week. Thanks for the heads up! He’s actually one of my fav artists, so I’m glad I didn’t miss out. I found a four at one store (I nabbed one, as that store doesn’t look kindly on clearing a shelf and I’m not big on taking more than 2 of a book on Wednesday at 10:30 am) and none at the two other I visited. One of the stores I went to is notorious for their subscribers calling the night before, so they didn’t even have any cover a’s (they usually have 10+ of each, big store)

I also found a full run of frison’s ww covers at the store with the artgerms. All around $3 a piece. I actually had these in my PC already, as I liked cho’s run of covers and stuck with frison after she came on. A good number of them are selling pretty well, so I’m gunna unload them tonight. Aside from that, I just picked up my subs today.

12. JayClue says:

My pick ups this week were:

Redlands #1 reg and foil

13. J. Coleman says:

LCS

Manifest Destiny 30
    Harley Quinn 25 var cvr
    Redlands 1

Online

All-New Guardians Of The Galaxy #5 Cover C SDCC 2017 Exclusive Chris Samnee Black & White Variant Cover
    All-New Wolverine #22 Cover A Regular Leinil Francis Yu Cover
    Archie #666 Cover C Variant Veronica Cover
    Avengers Vol 6 #9 Cover A Regular Alex Ross Cover (Secret Empire Tie-In)
    Beauty #16 Cover A Jeremy Haun & John Rauch
    Seven To Eternity #7 Cover C Variant Jerome Opena Images Of Tomorrow Cover
    Silver Surfer Vol 7 #10
    Silver Surfer Vol 7 #11
    Silver Surfer Vol 7 #12
    Silver Surfer Vol 7 #7
    Silver Surfer Vol 7 #8
    Silver Surfer Vol 7 #9 Cover A Regular Michael Allred Cover (Marvel Now Tie-In)
    Spider-Man Deadpool #19
    Spider-Man Vol 2 #18 Cover A Regular Patrick Brown Cover
    Star Wars Vol 4 #33 Cover D SDCC 2017 Exclusive Mike Mayhew Black & White Variant Cover
    Stray Bullets Sunshine And Roses #25
    Street Tiger #3
    Superman Vol 5 #26 Cover B Variant Jorge Jimenez Cover
    Theres Nothing There #3
    Trespasser #2 NEXT WEEK
    Uber Invasion #7 Cover D Propaganda Poster Cover
    Vampirella Vol 7 #4 Cover D Variant Jimmy Broxton Subscription Cover
    Wonder Woman Vol 5 #28 Cover B Variant Jenny Frison Cover NEXT WEEK
    X-Men Gold #7 Cover A Regular Ken Lashley Cover

Picked up some old stuff on sale @ Midtown.

Only pickups for me today were…….
    Action a and b
    Miracle Man a and b
    Grass Kings #6b and c
    Going to get to a couple more stores tomorrow hopefully.

• A. King says:

I got tired of waiting and I called CGC and asked about my comics I dropped off at Awesome Con. They said they were done and would be shipped out by Monday. I remember when I dropped off at CBCS they emailed me and kept me updated throughout the whole process, not CGC if I didn’t contact them I probably would not have heard anything from them.

15. Fredy G says:

Lets see for me:
    Redlands
    Sacred Creatures #2
    Supergirl #12 cover B
    True Believers Thor and Groot
    Batgirl Birds of Prey #13 (surprised no controversy on it yet)
    Batman Metal signed by Capullo and Snyder from Trinity comics

16. Kiley Lyons says:

Not sure where to post this but Midtown is having a 75% off sale. There are some pretty choice variants (Renew Your Vows #1 Mark Brooks variant, etc) available as well as Invincible Iron Man #9 1st prints. Just a heads up.

17. Michael Cox says:

Lady Death: Revelations #1 – Nightcrawler Virgin Art Edition are still available, spawn variant cover 150 serially numbered copies.Went on sale today at noon.Foil variant limited to 66 copy’s sold out quick plus they have 20 percent off sale.