Things I Like and Don’t Like for The Week of May 23rd, 2018

Welcome back to my world of rants and praise. Each week I’m going to tell you what I like and what I don’t like for that particular week. It goes beyond comics but doesn’t drift too far out of the pop culture spectrum that revolves around comics.

Weddings

I think I’ve mentioned weddings before but this one goes a little outside the scope of comics.

As I don’t like weddings in superhero comics, I particularly don’t care about all the news and press of the Royal Wedding? I mean, come on, this family has zero impact on my life and likely 99.999999999999999999% of every other family out there.  Who gives a flying F about the Royal Wedding? Everytime Prince William and his wife pop out another baby, the further Prince Harry falls in line for the throne anyways.

Sorry, I just had to throw this out there. It really bothers me that this is and was top news for several days it seems.

Deadpool

This is things I like. I haven’t seen it yet but I plan on seeing it this week. I don’t even care if the story is good or not, the humor alone is likely going to entertain me.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Yeah, remember last week I cried and moaned about the kid who ruined Infinity War for me? Well, I got free tickets to see Solo this Friday. This would be things I like and hopefully don’t turn into things I don’t like with another kid ruining the movie.

Slow Nothing To Spec Week

I really don’t like this recent lull of new comics. This week is no different, there’s absolutely nothing that is really standing out as potential winners. Sure there’s a new Black Panther but we’ll get another one of those next year. Sure there’s a possibility of a new character but if it’s a villain, I don’t expect much heat on it, not until it makes it to the screen, years from now.

I’m really not liking the slow weeks, it makes my spec’ing job hard. Guess it’s going to be reader specs.

NYCC 2018

Just got my confirmation for NYCC 2018 Press Badge today. This is certainly things I like, it goes beyond like, it’s just pure love. One day I’ll try to make it to SDCC but for now, I love NYCC.

This will be the 3rd straight year I attend. Big shout out to Anthony that makes this all happen allowing me to represent ComicsHeatingUp and another shout out to Tyson from ToyBoxOne who smells better than Anthony when we’re hanging out!

This year I’m hoping to catch more cosplayers and more writeups. I’m going to hit the event hard this year while also trying to have fun buying things and selling them to the poor schmucks who can’t make it.

Walking Dead is a Dead Spec

I’m sad to say that Walking Dead is dying, at least on the comic book market. What once was a easy cash cow for even common books is now slowly slithering away as hot commodity and spec books for first appearances, story lines and so on. Seeing first appearance books drop half in value from their prime is certainly signs that most collectors have got the books they want and the rest of the collectors might be wandering off like the recent show ratings and number of viewers.

I know all this because I’m selling my entire Walking Dead collection I’ve amassed over the years. What once commanded top dollars for some books are half or less what we could have gotten a year or two ago.

The Magic Order – No Second Printings Scheduled

Mark Millar’s new book coming out from Image will have no second printings. You heard me, no second printings.

“We want to get back to that crazy, exciting time where a first printing really meant something too and create a real collectibility here with NO SECOND PRINTINGS,” said Millar.

This is just marketing tactics if you ask me. We already know there’s likely going to be a really high number of books already (most shops seem to order heavy on Millar now anyways). I don’t anticipate this will be hard to obtain. But don’t worry, if you do happen to miss out, just wait 4-6 months and I’m sure there will be a gigantic sized #1-5 issue right before the release of the final overpriced #6 issue 9 months later.

This is the first title with Netflix. So I’m not spec’ing on this book since it’s already part of a media deal. The only thing I do like about this is Olivier Coipel is doing the artwork. It likely will be a good read, I just dislike these silly tactics to try and boost and influence the industry. Print books based on demand, don’t tell us ahead of time you won’t print more if the demand is there to try and create an artificial demand.

For me, I’ll probably wait for the trade to read it.

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Things I Like and Don’t Like for The Week of May 23rd, 2018

Any thoughts on Mysterio? I think Marvel Legends should release a scale Replica Fish Bowl helmet that is also a vape. I’m going to have to wait and see the uniform before I bash the choice of villain for Homecoming 2

If done right I think they can pull it off. But yeah, can’t judge a book by it’s cover.. gonna wait and watch before I comment on possible villains in a yet to be released movie.

2. Michael Cox says:

My family and i used to watch walking dead and that all ended when they killed Glenn.The scene was too graphic and cruel for my wife and son.They stopped watching after that.I personally think Negan has lived too long on the show and the comic.He needs to go.

Well, Negan is sort of gone in the comic. Who knows if Kirkman makes him come back.

Maggie letting him go in the comic was pathetic if you ask me. Kirkman would have won me over again if she shot him in the face just like if Negan had shot Carl in the face when they were raiding Alexandria.

Instead Carl went out with a pu$$y bite and then they dragged out the sob story for the entire next episode. This is why they’re starting to lose in the show and the comic. It’s just becoming too redundant, too predictable and it’s losing it’s overall appeal as the story and plot are just not fresh anymore.

• Shines says:

Agreed on this. Kirkman should turn over the writing to someone else (like Steve Niles or Cullen Bunn). The current storyline has Michonne trapped in making a horrible decision…go home to Alexandria or take the job offer as a lawyer for the Commonwealth
        Seriously, they need lawyers there.

It’s bad, people. Bad..

No…. Dont switch writers, just end it is the best route.

• Alana says:

They should end it by starting a new book Fear The Walking Dead #1

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

• Lonzilla says:

For me, Negan is the only character that made the show watchable and the book worth reading. Now that he’s in the wilderness in the book and basically gone I’m only picking up 1 copy of each issue out of habit. This new governor is a horrible character, not exactly a threat that has me dying to see what happens next (Governor, Negan, Whisperers). Kirkman is just mailing it in at this point

• David Hruska says:

I think I’m in the minority here, but I actually really like where the comic is at right now. The show is in a really bad spot and has been for a while (I didn’t watch most of the last season), but the book still feels exciting for me. I’m very intrigued by the new group that Eugene found and I’m very much looking forward to Rick facing a problem that requires a solution other than “get in a big fight because our groups are the same size and we have more bullets.”

That being said, I still hope Kirkman is working toward the end game.

3. Cody says:

I like that I found 2 captain marvel 14s in the wild for cover price today. 😁😁

4. Bill says:

I took a wonderful peaceful midday nap to the royal wedding – something I really liked

5. Shines says:

The only Royal Wedding that ever mattered was Black Bolt and Medusa.

6. Kevin verdine says:

I like my wife. She got me my first Hot toy. It was a Spider-Man. I turned 40 yesterday (Sunday). So the bad thing for her is I’m guessing this is where I trade her in for a 21 year old and buy a corvette?

7. louierobm says:

I agree with these things! Especially the royal wedding. Have no idea why ppl were crazy over that

I never understood the fascination people have with rich celebrities. Just another human to me.

8. adam wonders the blind comicpimp says:

I am looking forward to the new millar book. I will sell the crap out of it. the royal wedding can go suck it . however the royal wedding comic book from first comics will and can make dollar dollar . I like that rick and morty got picked up for 70 more episodes. I like the idea of mystery I just hope they do the costume right . kevin just rent a 21 year old girlffor a few hours I can cut you a good deal I loveyou guys blind adam the comicpimp out

9. Lonzilla says:

I saw Deadpool 2 last night, better than the 1st one and I was able to avoid hearing any spoilers all weekend. The credits scene was the best of any Marvel movie ever! That’s all I’m gonna say