Wednesday Open Forum

Wednesday

Wednesday, the best day of the week, new comic book day. It is like your birthday in the middle of each week (well, one where you buy your own presents.)

We open things up to hear from you. A free for all.

The 212th edition of the open forum!

As always we also want to hear about your weekly pickups.
So, What were your pick ups?
What had disappeared off the shelves?
What was sitting on the shelves?
What back issue deals did you grab?

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Wednesday Open Forum

1. Bryan says:

Any good spoilers for Venom 8? Damian Hellstorm make an appearance?

2. rush diehard says:

this just in….black hammer optioned…major movie or tv deal

3. That One Guy Who Owns A Shop says:

Marvel did a previously unlisted cover for Uncanny X-Men. A Cockrum Hidden Gem B&W sketch cover, looks like 2 per store, that the Diamond item code doesn’t even exist. I only find one eBay sale so far, at $22.99.
    CGR was good. Firefly is exactly what the Browncoat fans will be looking for. The Captain Marvel Prelude was worthless (I don’t think there are 6 panels in the entire book that aren’t just rehashes of scenes from the earlier movies).

Very very disappointed in the Captain Marvel Prelude.

• That One Guy Who Owns A Shop says:

It’s bad enough that we will be actively recommending that customers not buy it. We want customers to trust us when we sell them something, and a book that bad we feel an obligation to warn customers away from it.

4. DDevildog says:

While there wasn’t anything particularly “noteworthy” or “1st app”, this weeks Daredevil was juat a really good, old school, action packed, fun comic. Lots of appearances…lots of fighting. Really enjoyed it!

5. Remoteboy says:

Anyone having trouble finding a clean cover for Venom 8? Traipsed around London and they’re all scuffed in the top left. Black covers do my head in.

6. Rienye says:

Uncanny X-Men #1 (Cockrum Hidden Gem Wraparound Variant)
    Uncanny X-Men #1 (Finch Variant)
    Venom #8 (Js Campbell Uncanny X-Men Variant)
    William Gibson’s Alien 3 #1
    God of War #1
    Detective Comics #992 (Dell Otto Variant)
    Cosmic Ghost Rider #5 (of 5) (Superlog Variant)
    Catwoman #5 (Lau Variant)
    Red Hood and the Outlaws #28 (Putri Variant)
    Suicide Squad #48 (Mattina Variant)
    Deathstroke #37 (Mattina Variant)

7. Rienye says:

Seen the cover Clayton Crain is doing for Batman Who Laughs #1? Its pretty sick. It will be store incentive for scorpion comics.
    Im just know the BWL #1 will be like Batman #50 with 1000s covers….i’ve already pre-ordered the 2 regular covers and blank cover on TFAW and the Natalie Sanders one that Anthony told us about the other day…..i need to stop! (sobbing)

8. Brennan says:

Pretty busy lately, what with a baby on the way and a super pregnant wife who can’t pull her weight! Haven’t had a lot of time to post. Looks like I won’t be in the top three this year 😦
    Anyways, saw this at the back of laviathan from last week and though poyo would want it.

9. Eric R says:

Pick ups this week:
    Domino #8 (Morbius cover x3)
    Red Hood #28 (Putri cover x2)
    Doctor Aphra #26
    Wonder Woman #58 (Frison cover)
    Darth Vader #23
    Cosmic Ghost Rider #5 (Superlog variant)

Spec pick ups this week:
    Uncanny X-Men #1 (B&W Cockrum secret variant for cover price)
    Daredevil #610 (on the rack for cover price)
    Invincible Iron Man #10 (Mask variant with “01031” barcode) NM for $5

Good hunting everyone!

10. This week, just picking up the new Dr. Horrible one-shot and Plastic Man 6.

I only went to 1 shop today and had the weirdest experience ever. It’s a shop I don’t get to very often so I had a bunch of back issues and some new stuff, and I already know I’m off tomorrow because of incoming weather so I told the guy to give me a longbox so I can do some organizing. Then this guy gets my box and he starts putting it together. I told him it’s ok I’ll do it when I get home and he says they have to do it. I finally asked for somebody in charge and someone came over and said it’s STORE POLICY that they fold boxes for people. I said just ring up my order please it was like $70 , I asked for 2 more longboxes they folded them up for me sat them by the door my order was well over $80 by then. That’s when I pulled a dick move and I can fold my boxes myself and walked out. This is my longest post ever but their STORE POLICY just blew me away.

I would unfolded them after my purchase, in the store, before leaving.

That’s a weird policy

• I’m only going to guess that someone threw a fit after their box that they folded broke on them and their books went tumbling to the ground. Either way….Really stupid policy. Of course I’m the opposite, I always tell my shop to fold them for me because they’re a lot faster at it then I am.

• A. King says:

I figured leaving $80 plus sitting on the counter will make them rethink the policy or at least let the customer decided.

Lol. I just think shoving that many boxes in a small car could be difficult. Roll up in a smart car and then be like “where am I going to put them?”

• JayClue says:

I no longer use long boxes. They are an all around pain in the ass, back and elbows. Two short boxes for me, please.

I switched to short boxes a while ago and couldn’t have been happier.

• Long boxes are annoying. Short boxes always seemed like a pain just because there would be so many of them but you guys are giving me 2nd thoughts.

I prefer short boxes two shorts equal a long. And are easier to move.

• JayClue says:

Yes, you would have twice as many long boxes, but they take up the same amount of space, easier to organize (i find due to less books per box to look through, if labeled correctly), are more easily stackable and easier to move. A short box can still hold upwards of 150 books, so even a full run of Spawn would only take 2 short boxes.

• Because I’ve been lazy, All my long boxes are full and I need to pick up more. I haven’t wanted to pull them all out so I have the last 50 or so comics just sitting there waiting to be put away. Maybe I’ll just buy a short box and start going that route. Good advice guys!

12. adam wonders the blind comicpimp says:

i so am looking for a collection to buy.a action figure collection ould be #awesomesauce.like 1990-1999 style figures moc mip loose .tmnt and marvel and he-man type stuff. i also need a juggerduck costume as well as old school toon tumblers Baltimore mary jne Watson,gwen Stacey&the 2011 stan lee the nycc 2009 old man logan glass goes for big money . if you can please listen and sucribe to my podcast on you tube love you guys blind adam out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7SLuBDtbQ

13. Ken M. says:

Picked up the pulls today, not getting all the DC variant covers that I’d like but that isn’t new for this store. I didn’t notice any books that sold out quickly as it seemed like most were available (for DC, Marvel and Image, at least). Here’s the list:

Catwoman #5 (Cover B Stanley Artgerm Lau)
    Detective Comics #992 (Cover A Carmine Di Giandomenico)
    Electric Warriors #1 (Of 6)(Cover A Travel Foreman)
    Flash #58 (Cover B Karl Kerschl)
    Hawkman #6 (Cover B Matteo Scalera)
    Mister Miracle #12 (Of 12)(Cover A Nick Derington)
    Mister Miracle #12 (Of 12)(Cover B Mitch Gerads)
    Red Hood Outlaw #28
    Suicide Squad #48
    Superman #5
    Titans #29 (Cover B Yasmine Putri)
    Wonder Woman #58
    Bitter Root #1
    Cemetery Beach #3 (Of 7)(Cover A Jason Howard), $3.99
    Gideon Falls #8 (Cover A Andrea Sorrentino & Dave Stewart)
    Infinite Dark #2
    Oblivion Song By Kirkman And De Felici #9
    Rose #14 (Cover A Ig Guara)
    Weatherman #6 (Cover A Nathan Fox)
    Avengers #10 (Cover A Ed McGuinness)
    Black Order #1 (Of 5)(Cover A Philip Tan)
    Cosmic Ghost Rider #5 (Of 5)(Cover A Geoff Shaw)
    Star Wars Darth Vader #23 (Cover A Elia Bonetti & Giuseppe Camuncoli)
    Star Wars Doctor Aphra #26 (Cover A Ashley Witter)
    Venom #8 (Cover A Ryan Stegman)
    Firefly #1

14. Lonzilla says:

My regular LCS got completely screwed by Diamond and got none of their Dominos this week, on top of the usual amount of damaged books because their order pullers are a bunch of monkeys they way they turn 9.8’s into 8.0’s, the market is BEGGING for a competing distro company to dive in.
    Case in point: Mister Miracle #12 black cover was a chore to find a copy that wasn’t dinged up or bent to shit.
    On to my weekly pickups:
    Howard The Duck #1 raw 9.4
    Batman 682 Joker variant
    Batman 655 variant
    Vengeance Of Moon Knight #2 Mattina variant
    Vengeance Of Moon Knight #6 bloody variant
    Mego Dracula in original window box. Super rare piece (already up on ebay)

Yeah. Diamond sucks. But until there is a true alternative than this is what we get. Would love to see Amazon get into the comic distro business.

15. DDevildog says:

In our area and from some listings the “Life is Strange” book is red hot.
    Bringing in fans after it that aren’t typically into the scene (which is awesome).
    Haven’t seen much press on it, but I’d recommend snagging one if you can.

16. Michael Cox says:

Anyone know about the Rags #1 self publish edition and i see some say uncensored ,some auctions say Patreon edition.Confusing because antarctic released rags #1 and #2 and they are saying pre-sale pre antartic? Where are they issues coming from if Antarctic is sold out.Can anyone shed some light on this.

So they did a Patreon for the book. In it there is nudity. The Antarctic Press version covers the nudity with a bunny head. So the Patreon books were done before the Antarctic release I believe.