Wednesday Open Forum

Wednesday

Wednesday, the best day of the week, new comic book day. It is like your birthday in the middle of each week (well, one where you buy your own presents.)

We open things up to hear from you. A free for all.

The 124th edition of the open forum!

Another crazy week. I am getting back to normal after all the events from Wednesday forward (mom is recovering well from her heart attack, thanks to everyone for the well wishes). We saw God Country #1 2nd print pop up in price the day of release, seems the book was allocated from some reports. Thanks to everyone who jumped in on those signed copies. The Venom Jusko variant also started to rise in price.

As always we also want to hear about your weekly pickups.
So, What were your pick ups?
What had disappeared off the shelves?
What was sitting on the shelves?
What back issue deals did you grab?

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Wednesday Open Forum

1. Lonzilla says:

Dollar bin find: Peter Panzerfaust #1 1st printing about 3 years too late

2. Zeus says:

Got a few God country second print today..

Get well soon mom

Most of what is coming out tomorrow I have already pre-ordered or is getting put in my pullbox. I’m sure I’ll get to a shop sometime during the day. I did get my Darth Sidious action figure covers the other day.

4. Brennan says:

So I was delegated the task of arranging our save the date cards…..
    Found a sweeeeeet comic style one and they will be arriving next week. If I’m not here next Wed you know why, so contact my local authorities.

This week I am planning on getting:
    Action comics
    Thanos
    ASM
    Flash
    Hellblazer
    Uncanny avengers

5. Jesus says:

Today I went to my comic shop to pick up my copies of the Brian Wood signing. All came 9.6 except one. The regular cover A. It came back a 8.5. What the F#*% CGC. That book should of been a 9.6 as well. I am very irritated. But now I know why Poyo hates grading lol.

6. WOLF WARNER says:

SpiderMan/Deadpool
    Mosaic
    Loose Ends
    Infamous Iron Man
    Deathstroke

7. Barry W says:

Glad to hear things getting back on track on the home front Tony.

My #AwesomeSauce (© Blind Adam!) picks this week:

SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER #2
    REVIVAL #47B IMAGE TRIBUTE VARIANT
    MONSTRESS #10B IMAGE TRIBUTE VARIANT
    JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1A, #1B BROOKS VARIANT, #1C BLANK VARIANT and #1D C2C VARIANT
    HOOKJAW #3A & #3B
    ELEKTRA #1A, #1B GRANT HIP HOP VARIANT, #1C CHECCHETTO CONNECTING VARIANT, #1E (1:25) FERRY VARIANT
    BELFRY #1
    SUICIDE SQUAD #12B PORTACIO VARIANT
    WONDER WOMAN #17B FRISON VARIANT
    THE OLD GUARD #1
    FLASH #17B -PAQUETTE VARIANT
    HULK #3 JUSKO CORNER BOX VARIANT
    CURSE WORDS #2A, #2B & #2C IMAGE TRIBUTE VARIANT
    THE FEW #2A & #2B IMAGE TRIBUTE VARIANT
    OUTCAST #25A & #25B IMAGE TRIBUTE VARIANT
    DESCENDER #19 IMAGE TRIBUTE VARIANT

and the biggie: HEATHEN #1!! (Only one copy but hey ho)

And pleased to say reports of my death were greatly exaggerated!

• Barry W says:

Nearly always forget something due to ordering from various people!

TRUE BELIEVERS WOLVERINE OLD MAN LOGAN #1
      TRUE BELIEVERS ALL NEW WOLVERINE #1
      BATGIRL #8B MANAPUL VARIANT

• Barry W says:

UGH carbon monoxide brain! I never comment on my 2000AD pick ups, decided I was going to do so this week, then forgot!

So: 2000AD 40th Anniversary Prog Covers A & B
        2000AD PROG 2019

Are you sure you are not patient zero and we are talking to Zombie Barry?

• Brennan says:

Oh man! Glad to hear your mom’s ok Tony. I didn’t realize that anything had happened! Talk about a stressful time for your family.

Yeah. She is getting there. Follow up appointments today that I am teleconference in for. Surgery was scary and I will be honest, when they told my mom and I she had had a heart attack while we were in the er I damn near had one myself.

• Brennan says:

I can’t even imagine how that must have felt. Make sure she knows she has all of our best wishes!!!
        Just remember that every second is a gift (thank you wally west for that one) and you have more of them with your mom!

She wants me to spend less time with her. After my dad died, who made me promise I would take care of her, I see her pretty much every day as she works up the street from where I work.

• Brennan says:

Wow! I bet there’s times where’s there’s a lot of mom overload! Good for you to be around so much! I max out at three consecutive hours about once a month and the odd text here and there.
        Your kids are so lucky. I never got to meet either of my grandmothers.

They are all short visits. She owns a place that serves food so it’s normally a lunch visit for free lunch. Lol.

• Brennan says:

Omg you just said the magic words…..

FREE LUNCH!

• Barry W says:

Whoever came up with There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL) was clearly WRONG! 😂

• I lost my Mom last year. Make as many free lunch runs as you can. You’ll always be grateful you did. Glad to hear she’s doing better Tony.

I have been checking on her three times a day anyway. Just to be sure. Lost my dad 8 years ago and used to talk to him every day on my way home from work to make sure mom didn’t kill him. He was stubborn like I am. I miss those talks.

Sent from my iPhone

• I know exactly how you feel. Losing my mom last year was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I’m glad you got some more time with her.

Yeah. Losing my dad was brutal. He had been sick for a very long time and we had time to prepare for it. But watching a once very strong and proud man get weaker and more feeble before eventually passing (had copd after two bouts of lung cancer which took half and then eventually all of one lung.) He never stopped working though. Up until the end. My dad was a fairly good jockey (in the horse racing hall of fame). https://youtu.be/tgDblAyp5JE

Sent from my iPhone

• Wow! Fascinating! Thanks for sharing that video.

8. comicevents says:

Waiting for me at the LCS today……
    Bedtime Stories For Impressionable Children #1 (Cover A Joe James ‘Home Sweet Home’)
    Crypt Of Scream #1 (Cover A Mike Wolfer)
    Justice League Of America #1 (Cover B Mark Brooks)
    Suicide Squad #12 (Cover B Whilce Portacio)
    Highlander The American Dream #1 (Of 5)(Cover A Francesco Francavilla)
    Belfry #1 (One Shot)
    Curse Words #2 (Cover C Ryan Browne Image Tribute Variant)
    Few #2 (Cover B Hayden Sherman Image Tribute Variant)
    Outcast By Kirkman And Azaceta #25 (Cover A Paul Azaceta & Elizabeth Breitweiser)
    Outcast By Kirkman And Azaceta #25 (Cover B Paul Azaceta & Elizabeth Breitweiser Image Tribute Variant)
    Elektra #1 (Skottie Young Variant Cover)
    Inhumans Vs X-Men #5 (Of 6)(Terry Dodson Inhumans Variant Cover)
    Spider-Gwen #17 (Joe Jusko Corner Box Variant Cover)
    Hook Jaw #3 (Of 5)(Cover A Dylan Teague)
    Heathen #1

9. Eric Ralya says:

Looking forward to picking up the following this week…
    Few #2 (Image Tribute cover)-kinda reminds me of Spread
    Jim Henson Power of the Dark Crystal-1980’s nostalgia!!!
    Old Guard #1

Scores from last week:
    Batgirl #6 Manapul variant for cover price
    He-Man and Thundercats #1 (2nd printing) 3 copies at cover price
    Superman #10 Rebirth (Robinson variant) 2 copies at cover price
    Extremity Ashcan-free

Happy Hunting everyone!

10. Shines says:

Have the Jusko variants on order, gonna try & get the Monstress variant if possible.
    Pickups this week: not much, a bunch of Disney Don Rosa books in mint, including his 1st (Scrooge 219) variant cover, and #285 (1st life of Scrooge).

On another note, this aired last night on our local news. I don’t know the guy, but it’s horrible to watch.
    wnep.com/2017/02/21/fire-rips-through-building-in-old-forge

11. Shines says:

wnep.com/2017/02/21/fire-rips-through-building-in-old-forge

• JayClue says:

A fairly light week for me, except those damn Jusko Corner Boxes are killing my wallet. 7 of the bastards came out today. Thank god they are done and my set is complete. My pick ups today were:

Detective #951, cover b (the cover is so much nicer than cover a)
      ASM #24, Reg & Jusko
      Hook Jaw #3, cover A
      Extra. X-Men #19
      Hulk #3
      Suicide Squad #12, cover b
      Monsters #10, Homage (to complete my set of old image books I had from my childhood, with the corresponding 25th homage variant. Includes Deadly Class #26/Cyber Force #1, TWD #164/Wild CATS #1, God Country #2/Savage Dragon #1 & now Monstress #10 and Spawn #1)
      The Visitor How and Why…#1
      Heathen #1 (visited 4 shops, 3 had zero copies, and one had 3 copies. I got the last one)
      Groot #4 x4
      Groot #5 x4 (already sold one set of #4 & #5 which paid for all 8 copies 😃)
      Lastly, I had some decent sales over this last weekend and unexpectedly bought a copy of NYX #4. I know my timing couldn’t be worse, with those previews of Logan all over there place, but it was spur of the moment. Found what looked to be a high grade copy that is fairly close to me, paid $60 US). It should arrive tomorrow or Friday, fingers crossed). I wasn’t able to snag my ASM 300 like I was hoping too. Went to the shop on Sunday to purchase, and when I was there I noticed all there slabbed books were gone. They were at a show. I’m heading back later this week to see if it’s still there. Again, fingers crossed)

12. Barry W says:

I had a thought, after Tony’s Valentine comic question last week, if you had certain amounts of money, what comic would you buy and why? Looking at key comics/first appearance stuff, not variant rubbish lol

So comic up to $100
    Comic betweeen $101 and $500
    One between $500 and $1,000
    One between $1000 and $5,000 (thinking over this getting to some of the really unaffordable stuff!)

Any age, condition, CGC or not, just curious what people like to go for.

• JayClue says:

I’ve stated this several times before on this site, but I’m about to buy an ASM 300. It’s the most I would spend on a comic. If I’m spending that much, I want a graded copy. I know CGC collectors like the 9.8, but I would settle for a nice 9.6. I feel like it’s an investment because it features a 1st of a popular character, drawn by an industry titan, and it’s a gold standard title. All those things combined, being a key book, great artist, popular title,persuade me to spend my hard earned cash on a damn comic book.

• JayClue says:

Having said that, Barry, I will spend up to and around $100 for books that I want in my PC. I’ve paid $60 CDN for a new 52 Batman #1 when I first started collecting again about 2 years ago and have bought a handful of other books for my PC, that are in and around $50-$100 CDN. They are all modern books and in NM or better condition.

• Barry W says:

I meant to say that your hunt for an ASM #300 was also part of the reason I was asking Jay! What price is that commanding at the moment and what about in the other price ranges, is there anything you’d go for?

• JayClue says:

And to be truthful, I starting speculating and flipping books about a year ago in order to pay for those more expensive books that I wanted. An attempt to have the hobby pay for itself. I am a collector first, and a speculator second…I think. Lol

• Barry W says:

Ha ha I think that’s what I am too…

Same here.. but actually.. reader first, collector second.. flipper third..

• JayClue says:

I have really gotten back into reading these last 2-3 months. I had gotten away from it, as I like to read whole story arcs in one sitting. I let to many titles build up and build up some more. It got to the point where I had no room by my reading chair to store anymore readers. So push came to shove and I buried my nose in the pile. I’ve read the entire New 52 Suicide Squad (Ok)New Suicide Squad (meh-ok), Punisher (not bad, but not for me), Awesome Hulk (shit), All New X-Men (shit), Uncanny and Extraordinary X-Men (I liked), GIJoe ARAH (okay, not for me), New 52 Batman #41-#52 (good stuff), Civil War II (started ok, finished blah-I’m officially never buying another ‘summer event’ from any publisher. I’m done), Star Wars (me likey), Vader (me likey), and I am now getting into a pile of indie books. Finished Hillbilly 1-5 (good stuff, love the one issue stories and the overall flow and story telling of this title). I’m making nice dents in these reading piles and loving it. With television as bad as it is, sitting down each night and reading comics for an hour or two is such a great alternative.

I don’t get nearly as much time to read as I would like. I am far behind on my reading pile.

• Planning on picking up:
      Descender 19 (I dropped Black Science to keep getting this one. Starting to regret my decision.)
      Monstress 10
      Rick and Morty 23
      Spread (LCS did not receive any last week)

Maybe:
      Dark Crystal 1

Note: If you buy comics on Amazon, they are taking off $8.62 from orders $50 and over today only using code “BigThanks”.

• Joe Fote says:

For me, it would be a 1977 Star Wars #1 9.8

Comico Primer #2 Tick #1 TMNT #1 (I own the Primer) but those are my keys. All indie small press things.

13. JayClue says:

Heathen’s are starting to sell for around $20 on eBay.

Only pickups for me today were, Monstress #10b x2.

15. schweizerdavid says:

I ended up picking up all three of Sana Takeda’s covers that came out this week.

Found a pretty decent copy of DC Super-Stars (of Magic) 11, Zatanna’s first solo story. Hard to find in high grades due to the black cover. Paid a lot less for this copy than my first copy.

Also picked up a better copy of the American Gods ashcan. My lcs is keeping it behind the counter but free for anyone who asks. The copy I received last week was pretty beat, but this copy was much better.

Still haven’t gotten a copy of Spread. The lcs said that they were shorted last week and the copies would not be in until next week.

I just saw that Midtown has Super Sons #1 signed up for sale coming out next week.

17. J. Coleman says:

LCS

Quantum Teens Are Go Cvr B (blueprint cover)
    Cars 1
    Revival 47 reg cvr Final Issue!
    God Country 1 2nd print
    Batgirl 6 var

Online

Amazing Spider-Man Vol 4 #23 Cover A Regular Alex Ross Cover (Clone Conspiracy Tie-In)
    Archie Vol 2 #16 Cover B Variant Marguerite Sauvage Cover
    Atoll #2 NEXT WEEK
    Batwoman Rebirth #1 Cover E Regular Steve Epting Cover Signed By James Tynion IV (Limit 1 Per Customer) NEXT WEEK
    Black Hammer Giant-Sized Annual #1
    Hard Case Crime Peepland #3 Cover B Variant Ben Oliver Cover
    Hookjaw #2 Cover B Variant Staz Johnson Cover
    Horizon #7
    Justice League Vol 3 #13 Cover A Regular Tony S Daniel & Sandu Florea Cover
    Justice League vs Suicide Squad #5 Cover B Variant Amanda Conner Cover
    Kill Or Be Killed #5
    Kingpin Vol 2 #1 Cover H Regular Jeff Dekal Cover Signed By Matthew Rosenberg (Limit 1 Per Customer) NEXT WEEK
    Monsters Unleashed #1 Cover D Variant Francesco Francavilla 1950s Movie Poster Cover
    Postal #17
    Rockstars #2
    Spider-Gwen Vol 2 #16 Cover A Regular Robbi Rodriguez Cover
    Spirit Hunters #3 Cover D Renato Rei
    Star Wars Doctor Aphra #3 Cover A Regular Kamome Shirahama Cover
    Starring Sonya Devereaux Vampire Academy 4 Cover B Variant Brendon Fraim & Brian Fraim Horror Homage Cover
    Super Sons #1 Cover E Regular Jorge Jimenez Cover Signed By Peter J Tomasi (Limit 1 Per Customer) NEXT WEEK
    Superman Vol 5 #15 Cover B Variant Andrew Robinson Cover
    Trinity Vol 2 #5 Cover B Variant Bill Sienkiewicz Cover
    Venom Vol 3 #3 Cover A Regular Gerardo Sandoval Cover
    X-Files Vol 3 #10 Cover B Variant Greg Scott Artists Edition Cover
    Xed #4

3 signed comics @ Midtown

Glad your Mom is better, Tony.

18. I didn’t get to my shop yesterday. Darn water heater went out so I got to visit my Local Lowes instead of my LCS. Hopefully I can stop today after work.

The black Hood #3
    Fix #8 I don’t know if every issue can be a home run but so far this book hasn’t missed.
    Batman ’66 meets Wonder Woman ’77
    Loose Ends #2

That’s it. My shop is doing a 20% off of everything sale this weekend so I’ll probably hit them up on Saturday and see what’s left.

19. Barry W says:

Just been sorting through my recent purchases, I noticed the sequence of 1-24 printed under the title of The Wildstorm on the cover, the number 1 is kinda highlighted with an arrow. Does this mean they are thinking it will be a 24 issue series or the Warren Ellis will be doing 24 issues? Or is that the countdown (up?) to the next DC “event”? Gawd help us all!!

• Barry W says:

Doh! Just read the interview with Ellis on the last page, it says there that it’s 24 issues, each six issues per “short book”, 4 books, 4 x 6 = 24 (I’ve always been good at maths!)

20. Barry W says:

Get in! I’d almost believe there was a God if I wasn’t an atheist. Just had an email from Forbidden Planet saying the two Heathen’s I ordered on Tuesday have been dispatched, that’s two for the flip and one for for PC now 🤑🤑