Wednesday Open Forum

Wednesday

Wednesday, the best day of the week, new comic book day. It is like your birthday in the middle of each week (well, one where you buy your own presents.)

We open things up to hear from you. A free for all.

The 188th edition of the open forum!

Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day weekend. Mine was spent on the baseball field coaching my 8U select team to an undefeated weekend, until the flooding here in Maryland started. My all-star first baseman Joe went 6 for 7 with two home runs, two triples, a double, and a single over the weekend. We were all set to take the Stars and Strikes tournament until the deluge of rain ruined it. Fun fact: While Joe doesn’t have a rookie card, he makes his first comic appearance in Rift #2 from Red 5 Comics.

As always we also want to hear about your weekly pickups.
So, What were your pick ups?
What had disappeared off the shelves?
What was sitting on the shelves?
What back issue deals did you grab?

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

112 Responses to Wednesday Open Forum

Death finally arrived on Lucifer and the shows cancelled boooooooooooooooooooo

I cleaned out my pullbox over the weekend, it was way too full. I dropped Redneck, no reason just going to trade wait. I got my comics back from CGC, it was 8 comics that included……
    Superman #10 and #11 both newsstand both 9.8. I checked the census and there are no other 9.8’s listed.
    Scarlet Witch #10 cosplay 9.8
    Popeye Classics #65 zombie 9.8
    Rick and Morty #1 Mexican edition 9.8
    Hercules the Legendary Journeys #3 gold foil Xena photo cover 9.8.
    I had two copies of Rick and Morty Lil Poopy #2a and #2b both are errors. #2a has 2 pages switched and that came back 9.8, and #2b has a page printed twice and that came back 9.4 with a green label. I’m not sure what a green label means, hopefully one of you guys can explain, and I guess it got the 9.4 because of the page missing it was a printing error so I don’t that either.

• Alana says:

Green means qualified incomplete like if it was missing its value stamp or a page.

• Alana says:

From cgc: A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, a comic book with a missing coupon that otherwise grades 6.0 will receive a Qualified grade, avoiding a considerably lower grade. CGC would give this book a Qualified grade of 6.0 and a Label Text notation “COUPON MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY.” Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.” sucks they green labeled it instead of an error.

• Alana says:

If they graded it with a blue label you probably get a 1.0

Since it was missing a page of story it is considered incomplete and therefore green label. Better green then a blue .5

• A. King says:

Oh, ok. Thanks for the explanation.

• A. King says:

If I would have known that I never would have gotten that one graded.

3. Dave says:

So is jabber jaw this weeks BG13B. Not buying it. I can’t give away my scooby apocalypse 25B cover…trying to sell it as a set with A though.

4. Dave says:

I saw a scooby 25B on the rack this weekend. Avoided it. Wasn’t 9.8 condition.

5. Dave says:

BTW, if any of you see Batgirl 23B at an LCS that claimed they were “shorted” by Diamond…call them OUT!

6. Dave says:

Were are the ASM 800 spoilers?!

7. James says:

A few things:

I saw that Flash Speed Buggy #1 sold out at midtown.

Doomsday Clock #5 seems to be a fine prospect, but purely on speculation . Something will burst.

Blackwood #1 is a fine grab and get her while you can.

Thanks to CHU, CBSI and Jim Comics on YouTube for spawning the specs to spectacular speculation and beyond remote control you beloved unloved hulking unhulkable forwRd thinking backward thinking believers in everything believable.

Best washes! Wash up.

8. Richard Guevara says:

Surprised it has been mentioned but X-Men Red Annual 1:50 should be scare and rare no? Anyone think it could get some heat?

• Richard Guevara says:

Hasnt*

• Wren says:

Would be nice. I was able to get it at an online store for cover plus shipping. Here’s hoping it arrives in good condition.

• JayClue says:

Rare doesnt equal $. I havent seen the cover or heard any spoilers on XMen Red Annual, but it would take something unique or special for that book to hold any long term value. You may be able to get close to ratio for it if you were to list it day of release.

9. Monks says:

Grabbed
    ASM 800 – regular and Moebius
    Batman wedding prelude
    Doomsday Clock
    GA annual
    GL Annual
    No Justice
    Man of Steel
    Supersons Dynomutt. I shouldnt have but am a sucker for Supersons.
    Prefiews and all the assorted spinoff catalogs

10. Brennan says:

Hello everyone. Considering it’s a fifth week, my list isn’t any shorter! What gives?? LOL

This week I am getting:

Barrier #5
    Robin vs Ras Al ghul #1
    Doomsday clock #5
    Go west #3
    Image +
    Jughead the hunger #6
    No justice #4
    Pestilence story of Satan #1
    Spider-Man #800
    Renew your vows #19
    Flash/speedbuggy #1
    Man of steel #1

And like I mentioned the other week, I have news!
    My wife and I are going to be parents! What a scary thought! A man-boy like me is going to be responsible for another life! It’s gotta be easier than raising two dogs right? I mean, a kid can tell you what they want 😉

Oh I spent a ton.

I spent $30, in which $6.01 was spent on the 50 extra pages of my ASM #800 cover A I picked up.

No, dogs are much easier and they actually listen, unlike kids. Congrats, now welcome to the new rest of your life where your own life no longer matters anymore.

• Alana says:

Congrats kids are awesome! Now when you buy comics you can say your putting them away for your kids savings in the future.

How did I miss that you said you were going to be a dad. I have always said to my friends “congrats your boys can swim”. Lol. My wife and I looked at each other both times she was being discharged from the hospital after our kids were born and said “I can’t believe they are letting us leave the hospital with a baby”.

• Dave says:

Congrats on the news! I have two young’uns. And I still find time to buy a comic or two. You’ll be fine! But life is gonna be different, my friend!

But in a good way. Once you are able to sleep again. I started CHU because I wasn’t sleeping after my second son was born.

• JayClue says:

Sorry about your luck, Brennan. 😜 (jokes, my friend), best of luck to you, the Mrs., and Jr..

• A. King says:

Congrats on the news!

• Brennan says:

Thanks everyone! We are super pumped!

• OC_GUY says:

Congrats on the bum in the oven! My son is just about to turn 1 and he is great!…. Get as much sleep as you can now…Soon it will be a wonderful dreamy memory….still worth it! Just think someday your comic collection will be his! I tell myself that and then realize with my luck he will be a jock!

My oldest is a jock. My youngest we still haven’t figured out yet. He likes to build things, trying to get them into comics.

• Kevin verdine says:

Hahahahaha!!! Congrats and good luck

All copies of Blackwood were just complete ass, nothing but spine dings and bends on every issue at my local shop. I think I got the only copy with just one spine tick.

I also managed to snag a few more copies of Analog #1 but one is very strange, the cover is more purple than blue. It was the only one in the stack that didn’t match the others with the correct blue for the coloring. Will post pictures here, wondering if anyone else has come across these. It’s almost so different I thought it could be done on purpose as one of their dumb hidden variants.

12. Eric R says:

I agree with the above, for a 5th week I spent a ton.

Pickups:
    Aquaman Jabberjaws (Middleton cover X2)
    Lando (action figure variant)
    Grass Kings #15 (end of a great series, can’t wait to read it)
    Amazing Spiderman #800 (Dell Otto 1:25 for cover)
    Amazing Spiderman #800 (Moebius cover-IMO the best looking of all of them and you can never get enough Moebius artwork)
    Kill or Be Killed
    Pestilence #1 (cover B)
    Marvel Two in One (Deadpool variant-awesome looking cover)
    Realm #6 (been a long time since #5-I’ll give it a couple more issues or it’s getting dropped)
    Hillbilly #10 (holy cow, it’s only been a month since #9 came out and supposedly #11 will be out next month)

No real spec purchases this week.

Good hunting everyone!

13. Jonathan hoffman says:

Just looked through the new Previews, took me about 20 minutes to flip through all of the variant covers for the upcoming FF4 #1… for real smh, wtf?

Ughh.. yeah. I love the solitication for the new book.. It’s Back, cause WE DEMANDED IT? I can’t recall hearing anyone I know of recently telling me how much they missed Fantastic Four.

The worst part about this new series is.. Dan Slott is writing it. Yeah, I’m gonna pass not because he’s writing it but because Fantastic Four is just not as cool and hip as they were back in the 60s.

• Jonathan hoffman says:

I agree completely. They’re a thing of the past, like VHS, and really quite boring for superheroes if you ask me. File them right next to the Inhumans. “Death of 4” #1, I’d buy that!

• Dave says:

I haven’t flipped thru it but I did have the same reaction to the “because YOU demanded it!” Wasn’t me.

Yeah, I doubt we readers have been demanding a new Fantastic Four volume..

14. Picking up:
    Saga 52
    Rick & Morty 38

15. Dave says:

Passed on ASM 800 today. All copies had spine issues. Mostly small binding tears and blunting. Since I have 3 shop variants coming my way, decided not to grab cover A unless it was a no doubt 9.8.

For fun, I listed an ASM 800 Mayhew variant today on eBay 2 hours before it went on sale for $100…sold within 25 minutes! Then was able to grab 2 copies from comic mint before they sold e out (wow it was fast for 800 copies). Keeping the second copy for the PC. Free comic book day!

Same here, reminds me of #700 and the larger Image books (Monstress #1 had this same issue due to sheer page number of the book). These publishers really should consider formatting books over 60 pages to be packaged like a trade paperback instead of folding these where the corners slightly tear during the folding process.

I found one copy that was slightly better than the rest with no other spine issues. Sometimes these tears are forgiven by CGC and CBCS from what I heard but then again, I don’t send books off to get graded.

• OC_GUY says:

I’m gunna wait before I purchase an issue of #800…So many printed and soooo many covers…I will get whatever is the “rarest” when they go on clearance.

The only thing that would make ASM #800 rare is if you bought all the copies of a particular cover and burn them all except the one you intend to keep.

16. adam wonders the blind comicpimp says:

I deamaned the fantastic four be brog brought back. me and mikc mickey mouse. mickey listens to me . and boomb shockala boomshockla la the fantastic four are back baby . and to the dude having kids . congradulations that’s awesome. put please don’t bring them to a movie theater a pizza hut or a convention until they turn at least five or six please I can’t stand parents that bring babies and kids under six to anything cool. it is called a baby sitter use it . I am picking up rick and morty #38 all the hanna Barbra books from dc the flash speed buggy was cool. lando #1 spiderman #800 plus I am seeking out daredevil,ms marvel&old school kevin smith books . I love you guys blind adam out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ68gth-lGk&t=16s

Ummm. As a former single guy who is a parent of two mostly well behaved kids I have to say, suck it up butter cup. Lol.

No kids at Pizza Hut? I think that’s taking it a bit too far.. I think every pizza hut should be filled with nothing but 4 and 5 year olds only when Blind Adam is there. 🙂

17. JayClue says:

I am a sucker for connecting variant sets. I also do fairly well flipping them. I am severely regretting putting together 3 sets of the Ramos connecting for ASM right now. #800s price tag was brutal!

Nothing for me today. I haven’t really liked the Bill S. covers he has been doing for TWD, but the one coming out next week is pretty good.

19. Jason Zimmerman says:

Spec heads up, maybe? The new Doctor Strange #1 regular cover coming next Wed. is Sold Out at Midtown already! Anybody heard anything, or have a guess why?

Hmmm.. from the description nothing really stands out. Most shops don’t or wouldn’t even have their copies yet for anything big to leak out.

• Dave says:

If think you’re looking at the Dell Otto variant…that’s the only one sold out. It’s $55. Cover A is still available.

• Dave says:

Couple of the Spawn covers are sold out….what’s the deal with midtown selling comic exposure variants? Especially venom 150????

I have seen it a couple of times with different shops. Not sure if they are buying them from comicxposure or they are orderable (a couple of different store variants have made it to the advance Reorder list) but it’s not uncommon for stores to trade variants.

20. JayClue says:

I sold one of my AvSM #9s about 3 weeks ago. NM raw copy. Damn thing was damaged during shipping and the customer wanted to return it. Long story short, the customer indeed returned it and the damage is not to severe. It was shipped in a 2mm mylar with a full back but the package must of been thrown around pretty good as the books top left corner sustained a slight crease from what appears to me it sliding in the mylar bag with such force that it dented the corner. Im gonna try to see if I can press it out, may be tough with that shit cover stock but I did have insurance on the package and I found out today that my claim has been paid out. They paid out 75% of the value of the initial sale. Sweet. I now have the insurance money and the damaged book in hand, which I can still get a decent price on. Everythings coming up Milhouse.

Ha. Nice. Yeah most of the time shipping insurance only requires pictures and not the item.

Yeah, they want to see the damage to the box or package, or just proof the tracking and package is proof you have actual possession of the item, etc.

21. Tim says:

ASM #798 3rd signed by Stuart Immonen
    ASM #800 blank sketched and signed by Stuart Immonen
    Antman and the Wasp Prelude #2
    Daredevil #603
    Infinity Countdown: Captain Marvel #1

22. David Bitterbaum says:

Light week…
    Doomsday Clock #5
    Stabbity Bunny #5
    Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #110
    Titan #1
    That’s it. It’s a, “Fifth week,” for sure.

23. Ken M. says:

Still a week behind with my pulls, was disappointed to see that I didn’t score the Batgirl cover (but certainly not the first time this has happened). The list:
    BATMAN BEYOND #20 VAR ED
    DETECTIVE COMICS #981
    DETECTIVE COMICS #981 VAR ED
    FLASH #47 VAR ED
    HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #45 VAR ED
    JUSTICE LEAGUE NO JUSTICE #3 (OF 4)
    SILENCER #5
    SUPER SONS #16 VAR ED
    TERRIFICS #4
    SUICIDE SQUAD #42 VAR ED
    ELSEWHERE #7
    GASOLINA #8
    REGRESSION #10
    DOCTOR STRANGE #390 LEG
    OLD MAN HAWKEYE #5 (OF 12) LEG
    STAR WARS #48
    STAR WARS ANNUAL #4
    LAST JEDI ADAPTATION #2 (OF 6)
    TRUE BELIEVERS WOLVERINE THE BROTHERS #1
    TRUE BELIEVERS WOLVERINE VS VENOM #1
    INFINITY COUNTDOWN DARKHAWK #1 (OF 4)