Wednesday Open Forum

Wednesday

Wednesday, the best day of the week, new comic book day. It is like your birthday in the middle of each week (well, one where you buy your own presents.)

We open things up to hear from you. A free for all.

The 199th edition of the open forum!

How about them spoilers this week?

As always we also want to hear about your weekly pickups.
So, What were your pick ups?
What had disappeared off the shelves?
What was sitting on the shelves?
What back issue deals did you grab?

This entry was posted in Comic books and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Wednesday Open Forum

1. A says:

Need some advice on what to do – I have Invincible Iron Man 1-13 (1st cameo/full Riri) NM never read and Amazing Spider-Man 1-6 NM (First Silk) Never read either.

Should I flip one now and save the other for later, flip both? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Great site guys, I look forward to this every week

Best Regards

Read my comment below. Meant to reply to this one.

Riri has gone down in value. I flipped a first appearance not long ago. Silk is a hold for now. Trust me, do not sell Silk appearances now.

Yeah. Agreed. First window of selling Silk has come and passed. The next one will come.

• A says:

Awesome, thanks for your comic wisdom. I’ll definitely hold on to the Amazing Spider-Man 1-6 run then (containing Silk’s 1st). I will consider selling my Invincible Iron Man run (1-13) then. I also have the 1:25 #7 variant which I will definitely be holding on to for now

• PETER RENNA says:

Riri’s 1st app in #7 is a $50-100 book.#9 is reaching $30. If you have the variant you are looking at double, and those weren’t even incentive variants. Not sure if these prices maintain or increase, but if you are happy with the return just take it. Don’t concern yourself too much with what may happen. Sure they may still go up. But if you are happy with the return now, don’t worry about what may happen as it could also drop.

• A says:

Very true. With convention coming up, I am trying to get a bit more money so I can potentially get some stuff cgc ss and/or get some Batman keys. I thought that #7 was the 1:25 variant though?

• OC_Guy says:

I thought the #7 variant was a 1:25 as well, but turns out it is just a B cover.

• helpmefindmykeys says:

I would personally hold onto both. There is still potential room to grow in my opinion. I think it’s likely that Riri makes an MCU appearance and could end up being a big part of it. Silk is a little more dicey. Kind of depends on how this Venom movie goes and what the Song/Marvel sharing arrangement ends up being after these first three Spider-Man films. This universe they’re creating with Venom, Morbius, Silk, etc. all are really dependent on Spider-Man. If the sharing arrangement keeps making money, a renewal of that arrangement could give Marvel some more control and all those announced movies could be dead. Long story short, if you paid cover price, sit on those things.

I’d say hold on ASM…. That already peakex and prices have started to come back down.

I say hold on Iron Man as well. That one hasnt reached potential, wait for confirmation Riri makes it into the MCU or other movie, etc.

3. Matt C says:

I agree with Poyo just based on the direction Disney seems to be taking with their Star Wars and Marvel movies. The first appearance of new female characters could blow up again in the future if some sort of movie comes together.

4. Wren says:

Picking up:

Both Middletons (already have one as a retailer I visited today broke street date), with Aquaman being my preferred of the two. However, Batgirl looks amazing in person.

Pearl 1: I have to think that Bendis has some type of multi-media deal with Warner Bros. for his new creations. Despite not being a huge Bendis fan, the description on this one looks fun.

Extermination 1: Read it, and really good. Not going to spoil it completely, but two deaths, and a 1st (ish) character appearance. I would look to get the Connor 1:50 for a good price if speccing on this one, as it was most likely heavily ordered. The Coipel cover is also a nice pick up for cover price.

Infinity Wars 2 Hidden Variant: good series so far, managed to get one reserved for me for cover at my LCS.

Beyond that, not a heavy week (yet again)

5. D-Rog says:

Will look for aquaman B, Batgirl B and Infinity Wars 2 secret variant. Otherwise I’m hitting the back issue bin. Actually went into he lcs today and found NM copies of Doom Patrol 26 (1st Mr. Nobody) and Legends of the Dark Knoght 120 (1st Cassandra Cain as Batgirl).

So far I’ve picked up the 2 Rick and Morty variants I’ve read about on here today that’s it so far. Is anyone else watching Preacher? I don’t think it’s too bad, way different from the comics but it’s ok.

• Alana says:

We love Preacher in my household gratuitous violence at its best. They did a great job on the Devil make up ranks up there with Pick of Destiny and Legend.

7. Jetski says:

Hoping you guys can help me with this question. I was going to list my copy of Beasts of Burden: What the Cat Dragged In (one-shot), and there are none up for sale. Nothing listed either when I select “sold”. What do you think I should price this comic for, or should I just hold on tight to it? Thanks.

I have a copy. I could be wrong but do not think they go for much

An actual auction listing will tell you the true demand and value. If youre not willing to let go at a lower price though, set a reserve price but from my experience, people tend to pass over auctions when there are reserves.

• Uncle Willie says:

If there are none for sale on eBay, that generally means you’d be lucky to sell it for the cost of shipping .. if there was a buck to be made, others would have copies listed .. that’s my experience, anyway ..

• Jetski says:

Thanks for the input guys.

8. Selina J says:

Picking up this week:-

Infinity Wars 2 – Connecting Variant & Putri variant. May keep my eye out for the hidden unmasked variant

Batgirl #25 Middleton – cos it’s gorge.

Pearl #1 – The B Cover is lush

Crowded #1 – but now I’m not too sure

Extermination #1 – Connecting variant

And finally under the category strange but satisfying-

Daygloayhole #2 – No Limitz variant

That’s me lot for this week

• Matt C says:

Yeah I picked up a copy of Crowded just for the heck of it..Don’t let Poyo’s “avoid” scare you, he doesn’t like Archie either jk

• Selina J says:

Who can’t like Archie?! So looking forward to Sabrina coming to Netflix

And bless Poyo – he certainly has a point about comics being optioned before release not generating heat.

Still sitting on Descender to do something

My Next Big TV thing prediction is Postal….Been up and down since optioned and gone quiet but Volume 2 is coming in 2019 & Bryan Hill is knocking it out the park with his writing. Walking Dead is reaching its natural end, GOT ending, Westworld disappointing so it’ll be a perfect storm for this to kick off…….probably….maybe

I love the Archie horror series. I am looking forward to Sabrina myself.

I am also sitting on Descender. A few actually.

I have Postal as well. I would love something to come out of it.

9. Drew Arnold says:

I was able to snag aquaman B, Batgirl B &bInfinity Wars 2 secret variant. There was a line of 10 deep at my LCS which was unusal. There was an older guy snagging all the htf B covers, but luckily I managed to get one of each!

• JayClue says:

You should have boxed out the old dude. I hate shelf clearers. Or grab them all yourself, wait for him to leave, then put the ones you dont want, back for others.

• Dave says:

Sorry, that geezer was me.

Seriously though, I grabbed one of each but made sure it was the best conditioned one before putting them back…I was gentle. Found a riptide #1 that I saw last week still there!

• Wren says:

Hah! I was at a shop with a line in front of it as well. Made sure I was first in line, as was first standing outside the door. Made a beeline to the Infinity Wars 2 stack to grab a secret variant, and noticed a polite person standing next to me. Flipped through the whole stack and found 2 total secret variants, pulled em both out and made sure to give him one since he was so polite. Next up was Aquaman B, and the guy waited next to me as I found the only 2 copies there as well. Did the same thing and gave him one while I snagged one. We both walked away happy and I felt good for not being s hoarding jerk.

10. Eric R says:

Very good week for pick ups and specs:

Gideon Falls #6
    Aquaman #39 (Middleton cover X 2)
    Infinity Wars #2 (Secret variant X 2)
    Batgirl #25 (Middleton)
    Babyteeth #12

Spec pick ups this last week:
    On an appointment in nearby town and stopped in. Digging through long boxes and found the following:
    Amazing Spiderman #792 (1st printings-1st Maniac) X2 for cover
    Amazing Spiderman #795 (1st printing) X2 for cover
    Amazing Spiderman #796 (1st printing) X2 for cover
    Eclipse #1 (Image Comics)-$1

Very pleased with the find.

Good hunting everyone!

11. Salty says:

Volition 1 is the most impressive book this week IMHO. Interesting story and the art puts most of the big two books to shame.
    My shop got two of the infinity secret variants but had them in the wall for 25 per. Too much for a 1:10 and no meat on the bone for a flip.
    0 Middleton aquamans at the shop but I snagged two at cover online a while back.
    Big stack of Middleton batgirls proving that retailers were all over it early on. Someone commented that it had a creepiness about it and I have to agree.

12. Matt C says:

Anthony any thoughts on Jeepers Creepers in terms of future potential? I know you’ve mentioned before in videos that horror can do well, do you feel this series has that possibility?

As growth, horror books have great long term potential. Not necessarily going to see huge growth, but there are fans of the series. (You know the movie is based on a true story and the idea actually came from an old Unsolved Mysteries episode?) Anyway, horror, many decent ones, continue to pick up fans. I have seen people over paying for comics at horror conventions for years. But, yes, there is growth potential. Plus the comic is good.

13. Salty says:

OmG!!!! GABBY HAS A HEADSHOT COVER FOR NEXT WEEK……sorry about that…big time gabby fan

• JayClue says:

Im a big time Gabby fan too. She is the only reason I read XMen Red. Shes so sassy and sharp. Good kid she is.

14. rush diehard says:

BLACK HAMMER #1 (JULY 2016) HAS SHOT UP IN PRICE…..FYI….

15. David Billadeau says:

So a couple weeks ago I mentioned buying a collection of approximately 3500 comics for $250. I indeed bought them, but I was hoping for so much more than I got. First of all none of them were bagged or boarded. Second, most were from early 2000’s to current. So I bagged, boarded and categorized them all! Quite a chore! Although they weren’t well protected, 95% were in Very Fine or better condition.
    So all in all the comics, bags, boards and a few long boxes the collection set me back $600.

• JayClue says:

Any keys in the 3500 books?

• David Billadeau says:

So I’m actually selling the whole lot for $1000 and keeping a few…which are:
        Guardians of the Galaxy #21,22,23 (venom/symbiote issues)
        Invincible Iron Man #7 & 9 (Ri Ri issues)
        Aquaman #18 & 19 (King Nereus)
        Aquaman #32 Bombshell variant
        52 week #7, 9, 11 (Kate Kane/Batwoman)
        New Avengers #9, 10 and Infinity FCBD
        (Black Order)
        Green Lantern #20 (Jessica Cruz)
        Supergirl #3 & 5 (Turner covers)
        Superman/Batman #12 (Turner cover)
        America #1
        Ms. Marvel #1 (2006)
        Ms. Marvel #1 b&w sketch variant & 2 (2014)
        Captain Marvel #1 (2nd print b&w), 2, 3 (2012)
        JLA #3 Bombshell variant
        Faith #1-4
        Ultimate Spider-Man #152 (Campbell cover)
        Miles Morales: the Ultimate Spider-Man #1 & 2
        The Authority #1
        Wolverine #154 (Deadpool)
        New Avengers #11 (Ronin)
        Nova #29 (Warbringer)
        Ultimate Fantastic Four #21, 22, 23 (zombie issues)
        Wonder Woman #150, 153, 195 (Hughes covers)
        Some of these are doubles, but many are for the personal collection!

Only 2 for me today…….
    Batgirl b cover
    Newline Horror comic with a Freddy and Leatherface story in it
    Next week looks horrible I might skip it all together.

Newline horror comic???? Tell me more! Please!

• Nicholas Ball says:

It came out in 2007, Anthony. It’s by Wildstorm/DC and called “Newline Tales of Horror” with Freddy and Leatherface on the cover. I see them from time to time for $5-10….hope this helps!!

Awesome Nicholas. I will look for it. I may have it and forgot I got it but I have pretty much anything comic related from the unholy trilogy (Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers)

• A. King says:

Yeah that’s the one. As soon as I saw it I had to get it. I’m the same way any comics with any of those guys I’ve got to have.

I checked it out. I actually have it, I grabbed all the horror books Wildstorm was putting out back then.

17. Captain Feet says:

What do you guys think about the Vertigo relaunch? I will definitely support Border Town because Ramon Villalobos is from my area, but what about everyone else?

• Salty says:

If they can get Neil Gaiman to pen something I’d be super excited.

• Jetski says:

I agree with Salty. Neil Gaiman will have to get more involved with the stories in order for it to be a success.

He’s not even writing the new Sandman Universe titles, only “overseeing” them.. probably why there were stacks of these going untouched at my local shops.

18. Jetski says:

Have you guys been paying attention to the comic “The Rejected One-Shot” that came out this week. Selling like crazy and going for high prices. I’m so tempted to sell my copy, but only 1600 printed. Should I hold or sell?

I was unable to get a copy which is rare for me. I am sure people will say it is pump and dump, even though I was unable to secure a copy.