It’s a new month for new comics. We just witnessed Avengers Endgame making record breaking movie debut with a whole lot of excitement surrounding scenes they used from past comic books in the movie, causing some books to catch some heat.
Picks of the Week 5/14/13
This is a good speculator week and I have a lot of picks. Each week I put out my list of books worth taking a look at and to consider for flipping purposes. I enjoy comic book speculation and have done well with my picks each week. Some take longer than others to heat up, some didn’t take off at all, but each week I still plug along.
This weeks picks has one that stands above the rest:
1. Regular Show #1 – It is a Boom Studio’s book. It is based off the hit Cartoon Network Show of the same name. The big reason I am speculating on this one is because of the success that “Adventure Time’ #1 had. I have a strong feeling the same people who went after ‘Adventure Time’ will be clammoring for this one. I will be picking up both the regular and Phantom Variant covers.
2. Dream Merchant #1 – Why is this one a pick? Well, it’s a new Image book. A new Image number 1. A new book written by Nathan Edmonson (writer of ‘The Activity’, ‘Who is Jake Ellis’). It is a double sized issue so more value for the money. The story follows Winslow who has been dreaming of an Old Traveler who has protected him from those who hunt him. Seems like the world has been made to forget about these strange hunters. Very psyhcadelic feel to it.
3. Helheim #3 – Issues 1 and 2 sold out. Strong story and fan buzz.
4. Batgirl #20 – New Ventriloquist. See the art, this is a ‘Joker’ scary looking character. written by Gail Simone.
5. Battlestar Galactica #1 – Classic Battlestar done by the ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. They are known for their big cosmic books, and few touch the epic cosmic level that Battlestar did.
Other things to pick up this week:
‘Strange Attractions’ Hard Cover from Archaia Press. Created by ’27’ and ‘Swamp Thing’ writer Charles Soule. It is the story of a disgraced professor who spent his life researching the “Complex Theroy” which states you can use mathmatics to predict the outcome of anything. All the while, New york city is a living thing slowly destroying itself from the inside. I spoke to Charles Soule on free comic bok day and he said this is a must for fans of the movie ‘Inception.’ I have this and have been waiting to read it.
‘Fall of the House of Usher’ #1 – What’s not to like Edgar Allan Poe and Richard Corben. I have been a fan of Corben’s since he broke out on the scene doing art for Warren magazines like ‘Creepy’ and ‘Eerie’.
Also, please feel free to check out my auctions on eBay. Lots of Phantom Variants, lots of store variants, and other hot books like Peter Panzerfaust: http://www.ebay.com/sch/apopcomics424/m.html?item=161023096136&pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item257db97548&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
Like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/comicsheatingup we are running a contest from now until we hit 100 likes. Once we get 100 likes we will give away a free Phantom Variant, Store Variant, or Ghost Variant. We are at 24 so far and picking up more by the day.