Donny Cates’ God Country Optioned for Movie

This just in, Donny Cates God Country has been picked up by Legendary and Aftershock Mediaoptioning.
God Country will be heading to the theaters.

The characters and story first appears in God Country #1.

From Hollywood Reporter:

Having conquered comics with a critically acclaimed — and best-selling — run on Marvel’s Thanos, the team of Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw is turning its attention to Hollywood with Legendary Entertainment and AfterShock Mediaoptioning their Image Comics property God Country, The Hollywood Reporter can confirm.

Published in 2017, the six-issue God Country is a fantasy series in which an elderly widower in Texas finds himself restored to health — and cured of dementia — after discovering an enchanted sword in the eye of a tornado. His revival comes with a cost, however; he has been transformed into the only man who can face a number of otherworldly creatures summoned to Texas by the sword’s arrival.

Cates will adapt his own story for the movie, which marks the second collaboration between Legendary and AfterShock, and the first time AfterShock will develop a property outside of its own AfterShock Comics line. The project was initiated by Legendary executive Vice President of production Jon Silk, and will be overseen by AfterShock’s Lee and Jon Kramer, and Legendary’s Silk and Jay Ashenfelter.

38 Responses to Donny Cates’ God Country Optioned for Movie

Only reason I bought this book on day of release is because of CHU, thank you Anthony and Poyo.

2. MrPaine says:

The whole optioning thing and comics is just . . .wow man . . . What is the mentality??? In 2 hours a $30 shoots to $80+.

• OC_Guy says:

Supply vs Demand in action. People bet the movie will increase popularity where a lot more want the book than was published so they rush out and buy what they can hoping to make a nice payday. Soooo many options out there most never pan out but the ones that do can usually make for some nice profit. I bought one of these at cover, Forgot if it is cover A or B but it is somewhere. Will have to dig it out. I also took a gamble and bought another one (cover A) in NM on Amazon for $44. Hope the order isn’t mysteriously canceled as what seems to happen on Amazon a lot of times after books heat up. Anyway, if I do get it it should be a good gamble. Cates is mega popular and I can see this as well as more of his properties actually making it to the big and small screen (Redneck anyone?). Still a some cover Bs of God Country #1 on Amazon for about $40 to $45.

People chase the books that are hot. At this point it is reactionary as opposed to spec. I see this as a chance to sell and not buy.

• OC_Guy says:

I hope so. Pretty sure the God country #1 I have is cover B and the one I just ordered is cover A so I will probably keep the set for the pc if that is the case. Bought a bunch of Redneck #1 plus the ashcan so would really like it if that one goes Hollywood! 😉

3. Steven chambers says:

It is nice to walk into you local comic shop……..The first time I walked into a comic book shop after a hiatus of over 20 years I bought God Country #1 and fell in love with comics again. Bought it after Anthony sang its praises on CHU and was staggered by the depth of character and heart breaking scenes of a family pulled apart by dementia. I have sold multiple copies of this comic and have several left. I was able to buy issue 1 second prints for £1 in the summer so stocked up.
    Big thanks CHU.

I’ve already made so much money when this book heated up the first go round. Looks like I need to dig out my remaining ones I had that are also signed to dump onto the masses now. 🙂

Wow James Gunn to write and direct Suicide Squad 2

Yeah. Off Marvel on to DC

• OC_Guy says:

His tweets were a bit “odd” for sure, but he really was just joking around in a twisted way…Marvel went off the deep end with their pc police on Gunn. Big mistake on their part in my opinion….At least a Suicide Squad movie will finally be good! Copper age Suicide Squad #1 and and Legends #3 might have a shot a price spike. Here is to hoping Gunn can do for SS what he did for GotG!…That first SS movie was just bad. Sooooooo bad.

That’s what I was thinking. Suicide Squad movie will finally be good.

6. OC_Guy says:

Decided to buy an Image 25th God Country #1 for $30. Was the cheapest one I could find and from Mile High of all places. I don’t even know much about these 25th anniversary editions as I kept my distance when they were first released, yet I was like, “sure, why not” like I’m freakin made of money!. I think I am going to call it quits for a few weeks. After Avengers Dark earlier this week and now God country I need to cap my spending a little bit and re-fill the coffers.

7. Cody says:

SELL MORTIMER SELL!

8. Salty says:

I bought multiple copies because I fell in love with the story right out of. the gate. I hope Poyos right about Redneck I love that title as well.

Time for me to get out a set to list.

10. BED says:

Just finally read the trade recently. Story is a tearjerker. Can’t think of too many comics I’ve read in a long time that stirred up so much emotion. Really well written. Loved it so much I don’t think I can part with my signed #1. Hope this one actually hits the screen!

11. Brian says:

Is cover B that much less desirable than cover A, since they were in equal quantities? I just got the B cover a few weeks ago for $12 so I can’t complain, but I hope it wouldn’t have been wiser to invest in cover A.

• OC_Guy says:

Cove A , 9 times out of 10 is the cover to get. That being said, $12 for a cover B is just great since they are pushing as high as $60 right now for un-graded NM copies with asking prices as high as $90. Cover A of this book will always be more desirable but cover B will be on a lot of peoples radar as well. With only 14k of the first print issue #1(assuming A & B combined) was made adding to how popular the book was before the movie rumor news and of course with how popular Cates is getting you are safe with cover B. Nice pick up!

12. OC_Guy says:

Since God Country is beyond hot right now does anyone now the actual print run of the Image 25th anniversary variants? I know God Country #1 had roughly a 14k print run so I am assuming that means 7k for cover A and 7k for cover B but have no idea how “rare” some or all of the Image blind box variants are. Anyone know?

All I had to do was check the archives. I knew we had to break down in there somewhere

• OC_Guy says:

LOL, Anthony, you are freakin awesome!Took all but two minutes for you to get that info on here! That should help those on the fence as to which version to get now that prices are starting to climb. Those Image variants might be a good option for some with standard first print cover’s getting crazy. They are pretty darn limited in some cases. Limited, hot, movie all add up to prices going up at …Seems these days if a comic movie rumor is written on the bathroom stall of a strip joint restroom the online world goes nuts. Just the way it is, but I do think there is some serious steam heading in Cates direction. More like rocket fuel! He and everything he is touching lately is just gold! Going to be interesting to see just how high that wave gets and how long it can be ridden before things settle a bit.