Wednesdays, the best day of the week because it’s the day I get to make it to work a little later because my LCS are my first stops of the day.
So what’s the picks this week? Nothing really stands out, anything can heat up at a moments notice.. what you think is just another regular boring monthly issue could hold a surprise that everyone on the interwebs goes crazy for and pays at super inflated eBay prices..
Wednesday, new comic day, the best day of the week. It is like your birthday in the middle of each week.
As always, we ask you to post your pick ups, your books dropped. Continue reading “Wednesday Open Forum”
Looks like the video game tie-in ‘ DMC Devil May Cry The Chronicles of Vergil’ is sold out through Diamond and cannot be reordered. This is not something that appeared on the Diamond Comics Advanced Reorder list and could have a small print run as it is coming from a small Press company Titan Comics.
Video Game Tie-ins have done well in the past, ‘Injustice Gods Among Us’ comes to mind, but others have not done so well.
Remember, when something sells out at the distributor level, it does not mean you cannot get it in the store, it means your store cannot reorder and once they sell out its over (or on to reprints.)
Other copies are now available starting at .99 cents but there has been no bidding activity to date. There also have been no buy-it-nows or completed auctions for the book with sales. This is the test for “The Test.”
One way to gauge how hot a comic is/will be is by the Advanced Reorder list from Diamond Comics. This is a list of books being most reordered by retailers before the publication date of the comic.
This week is a weird one as speculation wise there is not too much. Uber dominates the chart this week for single issues.
1. Doctor Strange The Oath TPB
2. Uber #0 Enhanced Edition – This is the second printing of the hot sold out book. Avatar books are greatly under ordered and this one sold out due to the demand and the fact Kieron Gillen is writing it. The Enhanced Edition costs $1 more at $4.99 but features 60 pages.
3. Thanos Rising #2 – Thanos is popular with his appearance in The Avengers movie and all things Guardians of the Galaxy being hot due to the upcoming GoG Movie.
4. Superior Spider-man #9
5. Age of Ultron #2 2nd printing
6. Iron Man #9
7. Amazing Spider-man #700 4th printing
8. Polarity #2 Boom Studios- 1st Issue flew under the radar and sold well now retailers are trying to stock enough of the second issue. Orders usually drop from the 1st to 2nd issue of a book as many people try the first issue and may not continue to pick it up.
9. Wake #1 DC
10. Avatar the Last Air Bender TPB Vol. 5
11. Ten Grand #1 Image- This is the big speculator book of the list. JMS returns to monthly (single issue) comics with the launch of this book. Art by fan favorite Ben Templesmith.
14. Image Firsts Peter Panzerfaust #1 – Try buying a first print of PP for under $300 any more is almost impossible. There was a second print which also commands big bucks.
15. Regular Show Phantom Variant #1 Boom Studios- This is a must buy in any cover. Just look how well Adventure Time did.
25. Ten Grand #1 Bill Sienkiewicz Variant Image- See #11
I am not saying the Comic Price guide model is dead, I am saying it is on life support. Currently, there are no monthly comic book price guides (think Wizard Magazine) that accurately track prices. The big books come out every year, but they do not capture the prices of books that spike before or after the publication of the book. If a book starts spiking on eBay before the book is published, it will not be captured until the next edition. Basically, if you are looking for newer hot books, the price guide model is dead. If you are looking for older books, it still might not be helpful.